Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - I Believe I Can Fly!

I Believe I Can Fly!

I Believe I Can Fly!

Postby Stan Deasy » 06 Mar 2012 22:36

When I was a kid,my most common recurring dream was that I could fly! I can still clearly remember me flapping my arms(wings) and taking off,and the slow deliberate strokes as I soared overhead.
Well,it looks as if that dream could be possible! At a place called Duck Key,south of Miami,you can now fly the "JetLev",a device inspired by the jetpack used by James Bond in Thunderball. The real version of the flying backpack has been developed by a Chinese Canadian,Raymond Li, who flew his prototype in 2008,and his first production models are now available. They can soar 30ft in the air at speeds up to 25mph and are due to be delivered later this month.
The JetLev retails at $99,500,but budding Bonds can try out the machine at Duck Key. So far 200 people have flown the JetLev. The jetpack weighs 23lbs,and is less cumbersome than a scuba tank. The operator of the machines has a remote control overide,which should stop you doing unsafe manoevres.
Sundance Watersports at Hawks Cay(www.hawkscay.com) offer a 90 minuteJet Lev session for $350. I reckon it beats jetski-ing, which we found quite boring after 10 mins. Soaring Stan.
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Re: I Believe I Can Fly!

Postby Skier Pete » 07 Mar 2012 01:45

About time you posted some pictures of things Stan
Here is a youtube of the JetLev , which is in fact water-powered

Can anyone name the ship at 0.39 min? I think it is an RCI ship, my guess is a FREEDOM class
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 07 Mar 2012 09:17

Flying and Walking on Water - It's a miracle Stan. ;)

Thanks for the video Pete, and NO I can't name the ship. :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Stan Deasy » 07 Mar 2012 11:05

Thanks for video Pete...brilliant! Does it beat ski-ing down slopes? Don't the girls just love those JetLev guys? :lol:
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby jocap » 07 Mar 2012 21:40

It certainly looks like a vast RCI, with the paler lifeboats- I thought it was Oasis or..... the other one.....
How long before these are on every beach? We thought kite surfing etc was exotic at first- not to mention the inflatable banana.....:)
Jo.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby MikeBR » 08 Mar 2012 17:09

I found it pretty boring after 15 mins. They are now at the larger beach resorts around the Med in Europe. Give me a Segway any day :lol:
MikeBR

Postby Stan Deasy » 08 Mar 2012 17:52

MikeBR wrote:I found it pretty boring after 15 mins. They are now at the larger beach resorts around the Med in Europe. Give me a Segway any day :lol:

Hi Mike.....I agree that they do look a bit limiting due to the fact that they are water powered I think...not exactly up,up,and away! The guy that I hired a segway from in Lanzarote last year said that they retail about €6,000.....does that seem true?
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby Skier Pete » 08 Mar 2012 18:17

Stan they cost about €4,800 (£4000)

Segway X2
Product Features:- Personal Transporter, Max Speed: 12.5 mph, Max Range: 24 mi, Weight: 120 lb, Saphion® lithium-ion batteries.

£4,000.00 new £4,030.00 with delivery

maktplaceltd.com Segway X2

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Skier Pete » 08 Mar 2012 18:19

Stan Deasy wrote:Thanks for video Pete...brilliant! Does it beat ski-ing down slopes? Don't the girls just love those JetLev guys? :lol:

In words of one syllable or less

NO

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby MikeBR » 08 Mar 2012 18:28

For a standard model €6000 is about right, but you also get the rough terrain model with bigger tyres and a slightly longer range. The only country I know of that they are not road legal is the UK which is a bit of a pain as they give you so much more 'Street Cred' than a mobility scooter and you can also mug 'Hoody's' of their Hash Stash for your rheumatism and get away :thumbup: . Germany has now made it a requirement that you have a full driving licence to drive them on the road now.
The water jet pack is really boaring because you are attached to a thing like an upturned jetsky by a bloody big hose :thumbdown: . I've had more fun on my Wii. :lolno:
MikeBR

Return to North America