Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dry Macular Degeneration.

Dry Macular Degeneration.

Postby avidcruiser » 27 Jun 2015 00:15

Has anyone found that taking supplements slows this?

My consultant discounts then as a maybe, but other sufferers have found then to be effective.

Any views please??
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Re: Dry Macular Degeneration.

Postby hazel20 » 27 Jun 2015 08:24

My sister is an optician so I will ask her.
She is away at the moment, so might be a short delay
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby octocruiser » 27 Jun 2015 10:07

One optomitrist I saw spoke highly of them but was also into the value of dietary benefits with what sounded to me a bit outlandish regarding dietary recommendations . Likewise an optician where I had specs prescribed was pushing them hard. I'm afraid being a bit of a sceptic my feeling was - 'Well you would, wouldn't you? ' Particularly since those particular specs were the most expensive I have ever had......and the cartons of pills lined up on the shelf had pretty high price tags.

I do have a neighbour who some time ago was swearing by them but bless her, her vision has gone on deteriorating and she is partially blind. I have to say that her vision was always far worse than mine and although I was told about the AMD at least ten years ago in my case I am lucky that it has deteriorated very slowly. I suppose someone in her position cannot be blamed for clutching at straws.

I had big problems with vision over a few years but about three years ago I had cataracts removed from both eyes and the difference was amazing. (I had to push for this as the optician I was using then kept saying they weren't 'ready ') I had a further problem a few weeks ago when one of them 'slipped' but a simple laser correction worked wonders and I was told at my check up that I have the equivalent of 20/20 vision FOR MY AGE - don't you just love it when they have to add that :roll:

The opthamologist that I saw then reminded me of the need to use the Amsler grid chart twice a week (can't find it at the moment :roll: ) but said in the great majority of cases the dry AMD progresses slowly and the development of wet AMD is a low risk.

I certainly am not convinced of the value of supplements , particularly as they are so expensive . Also, I cannot quite see how any beneficial results can be measured. They do not claim to be a cure, but to slow progress. Since everyone is most likely to have a different rate of progress there doesn't seem to be a way to judge if they are effective.

Just my pennyworth - others may feel differently.

Hope you and hubby are keeping well, Avid.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Meg50 » 27 Jun 2015 12:19

have you tried the Macular society?
http://www.macularsociety.org/

there's a forum, and a FB page where you can ask
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby hazel20 » 28 Jun 2015 17:45

This was my sister's reply:

I've seen many dry AMD patients that have v stable , no advancements with supplements . The most recent study AREDS 2 showed the one of choice is macushield gold.
You can't reverse the condition but it does seem to help to stabilise it
Also stop smoking if that is something you do!
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Return to Health & Beauty