Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Black Wednesday - and the portent of Doom.

Black Wednesday - and the portent of Doom.

Postby octocruiser » 07 Aug 2015 17:52

:roll:

I had an emergency admission to ACU early on Wednesday morning due to a recurrance of an existing cardiac condition - which happened to be the first Wednesday in August. I had never heard of this phenomenon and although I heard snippets of conversation about potential mild chaos on the wards while I was waiting in A&E to be taken to the ward it didn't mean much to me.

I was later told more about it by a nurse but it really didn't seem possible to me that a system looking after people's health and welfare could actually be run like this.

I looked it up after I came home and sure enough here it is in a reputable newspaper and I am told it had been mentioned on Telly during the day.

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2015/aug/04/black-wednesday-share-stories-day-junior-doctors-start-work

Sadly I have to confirm that it all may be true. I have never had quite such a frustrating experience in hospital.

After seeing various doctors and various tests having been done a young S. African doctor came at about 11 am and told me that the tests had shown that there did not seem to be any damage to the heart and he was prepared to release me with a letter for my own doctor so that he could keep an eye on things and decide if he wanted further investigation. BUT he said that first he wanted 2 of the tests repeated at 1pm to be absolutely sure. It seemed the timing was important. Then I could go if all was OK

I think the handover came shortly after this . By 2 pm nothing had happened and I asked when I could go. No-one seemed quite sure and still nothing happened. At about 4pm it happened that I spotted a nursing friend of my daughter who had just come on to the ward. She came and spoke to me and I told her what had (not) been happening and that I would have to self discharge if nothing was to be done as although my daughter was visiting E at home she had to go to Birmingham the next day and I could not leave him alone.

After a while my heroine had wangled permission to do the tests herself and then later managed to get them signed off by a doctor and I was free to leave.

It seemed that in the course of the changeover no-one had been given responsibility to deal with me and I would have been left there overnight taking up an Acute bed that someone might have been in far greater need of. Worse still, I or someone in my position could have been very ill waiting for critical treatment and unable to speak up and try to get things moving.

It really is unbelievable that such a changeover takes place en bloc rather than having the new intake filtered in to ensure continuity.

Just to add to the Black theme :roll: . Soon after arriving I saw a rather sturdy and stern looking Eastern European lady advancing towards me wearing one of these - but without the smile.

https://www.foodsafetydirect.co.uk/clothing/hygiene-clothing/headwear/hats/black-trilby-with-snood.html

It turned out she had come to offer sustenance in the form of coffee and biscuits but with black trilby and black snood she could have been the harbinger of DOOM . Rather like the judge donning the black hood to pass the death sentence :o

Whoever decreed that a black hood is suitable headgear for hospital staff ??? :twisted:

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 07 Aug 2015 18:04

Sorry to hear about your hospital experience Kath but pleased you were eventually 'released'. :)

Never heard of 'Black Wednesday' but will be sure to try and avoid it at all costs. :o
Last edited by grannyM on 07 Aug 2015 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby bobbyoscar » 07 Aug 2015 18:26

So sorry to hear about this, Kath and hope that you will soon start to feel little better. As for what happened to you, after our recent 'holiday' with the NHS, it doesn't surprise me!
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Black Wednesday - and the portent of Doom.

Postby Hannah » 07 Aug 2015 18:29

I hadn't heard of black Wednesday either. I hope you are now well recovered from your scare and wish you well. There has been talk of high mortality rates at the weekend especially if operated on a Friday
How demoralising to for inexperienced staff who clearly need support in early days.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 07 Aug 2015 19:07

So sorry to hear about your experience Kath and trust that everything is OK now.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Aug 2015 19:21

New one on me too, but hope you aer fit and well again, Kath.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby khkate » 07 Aug 2015 19:52

Hope you are on the road to recovery Kath!

Your tale ties in with what I was told by a friend who said her husband who is in the final stages of training to be a doctor - he finished his year working at the local hospital at the end of July and is now doing his year of working as a GP before he does his final final exams - after 8 years of training!
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby adogap » 07 Aug 2015 21:11

So glad you are OK Kath and hope it is a very long time before you need to spend any time in hospital.
I have never heard of ‘Black Wednesday’.
Last month my mum who has end stage dementia was taken to A&E after a fall because she sustained a nasty head injury. As there were no beds available in a suitable unit my brother or I stayed with her for 3 days until she was transferred to a ward for the elderly and during that time it was a real eye opener! I have very high praise for all the staff but they spent so much time updating records often with illegible handwriting, as a result tests and examinations had to be carried out again and again. Our NHS is crippled with paperwork.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 07 Aug 2015 22:02

adogap wrote:So glad you are OK Kath and hope it is a very long time before you need to spend any time in hospital.
I have never heard of ‘Black Wednesday’.
Last month my mum who has end stage dementia was taken to A&E after a fall because she sustained a nasty head injury. As there were no beds available in a suitable unit my brother or I stayed with her for 3 days until she was transferred to a ward for the elderly and during that time it was a real eye opener! I have very high praise for all the staff but they spent so much time updating records often with illegible handwriting, as a result tests and examinations had to be carried out again and again. Our NHS is crippled with paperwork.

Chris

Paperwork was heavily featured in my visit. I am by now accustomed to the procedure where every single professional you see has the same form and goes through the same questions which they record by hand. By the time I actually got onto the ward this time I had answered the same questions four times.
Once to the paramedic , once to the lovely young male Spanish nurse who admitted me and got me tea and toast ;) , once to the admissions doctor I first saw, then again to a second nurse who had come on duty before I was wheeled up to the ward.
Then it started all over again. My bed was in a small bay with only four patients ( and one empty space where no bed appeared while I was there ) and I was directly facing the 'business end' of the ward where there was the reception desk, another small desk and banks of file cabinets, etc. There was also another bank of cupboards storing files in a recess just to the right of me. It was not possible to see what activity was happening patient wise in the other four bays of the ward, but the main focus seemed to be the filing area, with the various doctors, nurses, pharmacist etc constantly flitting between those and the desk. It may be that there was extra filing and paperwork activity on that day because of the big changeover and records needing to updated and finalised, but it certainly seemed to take priority over direct patient care. Numerous visits were also made fetching and carrying large bundles of files to the cupboards near my bed.
There were also flutters of activity with groups of young doctors /nurses (?) coming through and apparently being briefed/debriefed (?).

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 08 Aug 2015 15:20

khkate wrote:Hope you are on the road to recovery Kath!

Your tale ties in with what I was told by a friend who said her husband who is in the final stages of training to be a doctor - he finished his year working at the local hospital at the end of July and is now doing his year of working as a GP before he does his final final exams - after 8 years of training!

It does seem an awful long time to be studying before they are able to qualify.

But that is not the only profession requiring such dedicated study.

One of my grandsons has just finished his PhD and started his first proper job as a geologist at the age of 28 having entered Uni at 18.

His brother at a similar age completed his Doctorate last year and started his first proper job in Academia.

Both still need to get both their theses and other works published before they can hope to make more progress in their professions.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next