Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Psoriasis

Psoriasis

Psoriasis

Postby tobysgranny » 06 Dec 2015 01:58

Last week I attended a Dermatology Clinic at my Doctor's practice which was sponsored by the drug company whose medication I use. I met a very nice young man who introduce himself and said he was a pharmacist. He went into great depth to explain to me how to use my medication and has completely restructured the way I use it.

At the momont I use a liquid Gel which is a steroid on my scalp overnight usually about twice a week and wash it off with a special shampoo in the morning, but now I have to use it every night for four weeks on and four weeks off. He has prescribed a non steroid preparation to use on my scalp during the off weeks.

On my body I have now to use the same Gel and not the ointment I have been using for 8 weeks on and 4 weeks off and once again he had prescribed a non steroid preparation to use on the off weeks,

It is a fairly intense regime but if it controls my psoriasis I'm willing to carry out his instructions.

I came away feeling as though a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders as previously I was not happy about using the steroid cream too much, but he said I should have no worriers about using these products in this manner as they are licensed for such use.

I start next week when I get the new medication. I think I am going to have to be very well disciplined. Mmi'll let you know how it all goes.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Psoriasis

Postby adogap » 06 Dec 2015 10:04

I do hope the new treatment is a success Joan and will be interested to know how you get on.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Psoriasis

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Dec 2015 10:21

Joan, fingers crossed it will be a huge success for you. Do let us know how you get on. xx
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Psoriasis

Postby grannyM » 06 Dec 2015 10:31

Good luck with this new regime Joan. Hope it is successful. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Psoriasis

Postby Borneo » 06 Dec 2015 10:48

It's great isn't it when someone takes the time with you and explains things in detail that you understand.
I had a similar experience with the dentist. Badly needed a double tooth removed, I asked what would happen after and he said nothing l didn't need it replacing,( in spite of having very few left) . I asked for an appointment with the other dentist there. She took a great deal of time giving me the options.i felt so relieved after . She even went to the trouble of having another tooth on my top plate.. Made a great effort to make sure the fit was right.( I had paid about £700 for all this )
After the initial talk with her I felt as Joan said I felt wonderful. I can now chew my food properly and don't get anywhere near as much indigestion.

I do hope your new treatment works for you, you seem quite upbeat about it so I'm sure it will.

Julia
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Psoriasis

Postby Hannah » 06 Dec 2015 12:20

Good luck with the treatment. OH suffers from psoriasis so know how you must be feeling.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Psoriasis

Postby tobysgranny » 06 Dec 2015 14:16

I think you are right Julia. It is having someone take the time to explain it all in simple terms so you can take it in easily makes all the difference.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Psoriasis

Postby grannyM » 06 Dec 2015 18:26

tobysgranny wrote:I think you are right Julia. It is having someone take the time to explain it all in simple terms so you can take it in easily makes all the difference.

Joan

You are absolutely right about that Joan. I am so pleased for you. Not only for your understanding but also to check that your medication is the right one and the correct dose for the ailment.

Not psoriasis obviously but I have had a similar situation that made me feel better because someone cared enough to listen and take the time to explain things properly about a medication.

About a year ago I was very fortunate to get a cancelled appointment to see a new young GP at our surgery when I was feeling unwell despite seeing my own doctor a couple of times with the same symptoms. Turned out I had a lung infection. I was also concerned about how I was feeling since starting on medication for hypothyroidism a couple of months previously. In his opinion I had side effects from been prescribed too high a dose to start and then increased again too quickly. He advised that I come off them for 6 weeks and then he wanted to start me on lowest dose for 3 months, increased to next dose for 6 months, increased again just recently to the highest dose. No side effects whatsoever and feeling so much better.

Now coincidentally my younger daughter was also diagnosed with under active thyroid last year but she had all the classic symptoms whereas I had not. She was put on the lowest dose, increased to medium after 6 months. 6 months later bloods showed slight improvement so was told to stay on that dose and come back after 1 year which I thought was rather a long time considering my own experience. That was 6 months ago and as she was feeling no better decided to have another blood check and to see her doctor again. As her doctor was unavailable my daughter was given an appointment with the same young GP I was seeing. He quite bluntly told her that looking at the deterioration in her blood results after 6 months he thought that she was 'grossly under medicated'. He increased her prescription to the highest dose immediately. He told her that he would have prescribed the dose she was on for a 90 year old woman. My daughter said that was exactly what she felt like - she is 41.

I was seeing him a couple of weeks later and I said to him I was furious about what happened to her. I thought it was atrocious that she had been told to 'come back in 1 year'. That clearly because she needed a higher dose she was feeling worse instead of better. I didn't expect him to say anything but he said he agreed that it was both atrocious and dangerous.

We have both been very lucky and I am very grateful. It's not often possible to see a GP who is prepared to pay attention to 'how we feel' and who don't just prescribe the same for everyone with the same condition. :twisted:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Psoriasis

Postby tobysgranny » 06 Dec 2015 23:51

I can't agree with you more Marie. I am fortunate in having a GP now who listens and follows through any problems I have gone to her with. I'm never felt hurried through a consultation. It does make such a difference.

I'm so glad both you and your daughter have both managed to get the doses of your medication right at long last. Sometimes I think it does us good to see a different Doctor, particularly a young one with fresh ideas.

I am having to wait until the 21st December for an appointment to see my GP. I know it's a non urgent appointment but I want her to refer me to my Consultant in Exeter who has replaced my left hip three times as I think my other hip needs looking at now and the delay has set me back at least a month before I start the process and I don't want to pay BUPA forever as the cost has gone up to an astronomical amount now I'm over 70.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Psoriasis

Postby grannyM » 07 Dec 2015 12:25

tobysgranny wrote:I can't agree with you more Marie. I am fortunate in having a GP now who listens and follows through any problems I have gone to her with. I'm never felt hurried through a consultation. It does make such a difference.

I'm so glad both you and your daughter have both managed to get the doses of your medication right at long last. Sometimes I think it does us good to see a different Doctor, particularly a young one with fresh ideas.

I am having to wait until the 21st December for an appointment to see my GP. I know it's a non urgent appointment but I want her to refer me to my Consultant in Exeter who has replaced my left hip three times as I think my other hip needs looking at now and the delay has set me back at least a month before I start the process and I don't want to pay BUPA forever as the cost has gone up to an astronomical amount now I'm over 70.

Joan

Unfortunately now for a good doctor who has become very popular it is about the same waiting time at our surgery for a non-urgent appointment Joan. Sorry to hear about your hip and hope you don't wait too long to see the consultant after your GP referral. :(
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Next

Return to Health & Beauty