Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Blue Badges

Blue Badges

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 19 May 2016 16:52

As my Blue Badge expires very soon I tried to renew it online before going on holiday but as I didn't meet any of the criteria listed I was informed it was unlikely I would be awarded a badge. I managed to find someone at the City Council offices who had downloaded the old forms for me to use in order that I could complete the application as I used to do.

I have had a Blue Badge for the last six years and it expires on 25th May. Before I went on holiday I completed the necessary forms to renew my badge. When I came back from holiday there was no correspondence from the Blue Badge people and I rang them up to be told they had sent me an email on 15th April. I remember the email but it didn't say it was Plymouth City Council only the name of the member of staff who sent it. Obviously I didn't open it as I didn't recognise the name so I deleted it. I asked them to resend this email which they did and I had to download and send off some of the pages of the form I had already completed???

As I explained when I sent off the renewal I told them my medical circumstances hadn't changed nor were they likely to as I have permanent and irreversible nerve damage to my leg which makes getting in and out of a car difficult unless I open the door the whole way. I cannot get into or out of a car in a restricted space. In fact I now sciatica which only makes the problem worse.

Why do I to go through this every time when trying to renew the badge. My badge runs out in a week now and I don't expect to hear from them any time soon.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems?

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby Eleanor » 20 Jul 2016 10:42

Beurocracy, Joan, is sent to try us and I hope by now you've got your badge. It sounds as though you'd be seriously inconvenienced without it.
I've just come off the phone with Dior cosmetics, a right saga that's been. I had sore eyes after using their mascara and the girl in John Lewis said I'd have to call their customer services.
After a week of trying to get someone to do something, I finally gave up after answering their questionnaire then being told they'd replace it, so that I could get sore eyes all over again. They refused a refund, only a replacement or a lipstick.
Not happy. Next stop is John Lewis, I used their credit card to pay for it and I expect to get my money back. Never again will I buy pricy Dior stuff.
Sorry for the rant, Joan.
Eleanor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Blue Badges

Postby bobbyoscar » 20 Jul 2016 11:48

Hi Joan,

Sorry to hear that you have been having trouble renewing your badge.

For the first time ever, Andy was notified by Bedford Borough Council that his badge was due to expire shortly (end of Sept) and the forms were enclosed to complete.

We couldn't believe how they had changed. From reading it, the criteria is now based entirely on your ability to walk. Only those with enhanced PIP for Mobility - cannot walk at all (that's us), or have 8 points on the PIP requirements - can walk 20 metres but not more than (I think) 50 metres get it automatically.

For anybody else, it's on a case by case scenario and may require a medical to satisfy them.

Fingers crossed that you are able to prove to them just how much you need it.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Blue Badges

Postby octocruiser » 20 Jul 2016 13:33

As I understand it the criteria have been changed to exclude almost anyone unless they are unable to walk more than a few yards. I know of a number of people who have been refused renewal when they have had to go for a physical reassessment even though they had already been holders for some years.

My daughters had been pestering me to get a blue badge for Eric for quite a while and after I downloaded the application it seemed he simply didn't qualify. Although his mobility is reduced and he moves much more slowly he still is capable of walking the very short distances specified and has no physical diagnosis for any health condition other than his dementia although he is 89.

The principle reason for needing one is that if for instance one of the daughters couldn't find a space when taking him somewhere they would need to drop him off to wait while they went farther afield to park. With his dementia it is likely that after about 5 mins he would forget where they had gone and go off on walkabout to find them. I asked the advice of various dementia 'authorities ' and although they agreed that the situation was unfair there was nothing they could do to help.

Friends who have successfully taken the Blue Badge walking test have told me that they have 'acted ' a bit. Our problem is that however much we primed Eric to 'act' his worst mobility days ( and he does have them ) it simply would not work. The minute someone asked him 'Can you walk from this point to that point' he would forget our advice and say 'Of course I can' - and usually add ' I can run a mile !! ' - and he would walk the test distance even if it killed him because in his mind he is still capable of doing anything he did when he was still strong and active.

I eventually was persuaded to give it a try, so I completed the forms , unable to provide an answer in any box that sounded convincing. Just at the end there was a little box asking if there was anything to add in support. I explained the above situation and dispatched the form without much hope of success.

I got an email about a couple of weeks later which I assumed would be an appointment for an assessment and was amazed to open it and find that the badge was approved and would be issued upon the £10 payment ! Not sure if age played a part or whether it was my supporting declaration but I was very grateful.

I'm now considering whether to apply for one for myself. I do have arthritis and recurrent sciatica as well as other medical conditions and there are times when walking can be a problem although other times I am reasonably active - I also obviously have difficulty getting in and out of cars in tight spaces like you, Joan. It does seem unfair that based on the questions on the form the sole criterion is the ability to walk a short distance. I hope yours gets renewed now.

It does seem strange that the blue badge seems to have become one of the most difficult benefits to get although it does not actually cost them a monetary pay out as far as I can see. I suppose it has to do with the level to which it had become abused under the previous system.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Blue Badges

Postby bobbyoscar » 20 Jul 2016 13:51

octocruiser wrote: .

It does seem strange that the blue badge seems to have become one of the most difficult benefits to get although it does not actually cost them a monetary pay out as far as I can see. I suppose it has to do with the level to which it had become abused under the previous system.

Kath, I think you've hit the nail on the head, there. Thankfully, your issuing authority exhibited common sense over your application.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Blue Badges

Postby Mungo » 20 Jul 2016 14:09

All very tricky isn't it? My mum definitely needs one all the time but I do know people who on a "good day" would be able to walk further than on a "bad day." I think parking costs don't help the situation and someone I know takes their mum with them just so they can park close and for free. The system really is sadly being abused. :(
When I take my mum for certain hospital appointments the disabled car park is further away that the pay and display one. :o I drop her off and then am happy to park and pay.
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Blue Badges

Postby divingbrit » 20 Jul 2016 15:09

but I do know people who on a "good day" would be able to walk further than on a "bad day."

How very true, my Father suffered for 40 years with myasthenia gravis not a common problem,and for many years knew much more than the very good local doctor, on a bad day he could not get out of bed, on a good day he could stroll slowly around the shops for a few minutes. Very difficult to judge, using a disabled parking space when you don't look disabled.
Trouble is those who get the Blue Badge and are abusing the system.

(And don't get me on, 'mother and baby' parking areas closer to the store than disabled bays! ) :evil:
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 20 Jul 2016 16:59

Having been refused a badge on my recent application I appealed and went for a medical assessment. This was carried out by an independent occupational therapist who asked me various questions regarding my health etc. I was then asked to walk along a corridor with her and she timed me on a stop watch. Bearing in mind the corridor was indoors and was completely flat I told her my problem was not walking indoors but outside when I have to negotiate uneven surfaces and kerbs etc., especially as my balance is not good and often looking out for traffic while going up or down a kerb can cause me to stumble a bit.

I found the whole experience extremely humiliating. Needless to say I did not get my badge as she said I talked all the time (trying to explain to her) and I did not stop at all (which I did) and was not out of breath. I was so angry when the letter came from Plymouth City Council telling me I was unsuccessful. I was so upset I couldn't even read the letter and got Richard to read it. I have now completely lost my independence as I can no longer go anywhere by myself that means I have to use a public car park,, i.e. the Doctors, local shops, local supermarket or chemist. I now have to get Richard to take me and drop me and pick me up.

I have root nerve damage to my left leg which means I have to physically pick my leg up and swing it round to get in or out of the car and this is not possible in a normal car parking space. Not only does it have a huge impact on my life but also on Richard. I know he doesn't mind but that is not the point. I cannot walk very far these days but this is not an issue with them All they are interested in as to whether I can put one foot in front of the other!

I have emailed my MP and asked him if this was what the Government intended when they changed the rules regarding the issuing of Blue Badges i.e. to deny people of their independence. Needless to say I have not received a reply yet, but I intend to visit him at one of his surgeries and confront him face to face. If I have no joy with him I intend to start some sort of media campaign as I'm sure I am not alone in the suffering this has caused.

Glad to hear Eric has been successful with his badge application. Obviously some common sense prevails.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 20 Jul 2016 17:03

Eleanor wrote:Beurocracy, Joan, is sent to try us and I hope by now you've got your badge. It sounds as though you'd be seriously inconvenienced without it.
I've just come off the phone with Dior cosmetics, a right saga that's been. I had sore eyes after using their mascara and the girl in John Lewis said I'd have to call their customer services.
After a week of trying to get someone to do something, I finally gave up after answering their questionnaire then being told they'd replace it, so that I could get sore eyes all over again. They refused a refund, only a replacement or a lipstick.
Not happy. Next stop is John Lewis, I used their credit card to pay for it and I expect to get my money back. Never again will I buy pricy Dior stuff.
Sorry for the rant, Joan.

Feel free Eleanor I think it does one good to get things off your chest as they say.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby Mungo » 20 Jul 2016 17:28

Don't give up Joan. Keep writing, emailing, bringing it to attention everywhere. How long before you can apply again? Wishing you eventual success. :thumbup:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to Health & Beauty