Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Blue Badges

Blue Badges

Blue Badges

Postby bobbyoscar » 20 Jul 2016 17:40

As Sue has mentioned, try not to become disheartened but continue making a 'noise' until someone starts to listen to you. Would your GP write to them, on your behalf?
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 20 Jul 2016 18:01

Mungo wrote:Don't give up Joan. Keep writing, emailing, bringing it to attention everywhere. How long before you can apply again? Wishing you eventual success. :thumbup:
6 months Sue.

Funny thing is that I have just been to the acute back pain clinic and have been told that I have a chronic post op problem in my left hip area as I have had it replaced three times and I also have a chronic problem in my lower back due to the 50 years I lolloped around having a displaced hip and did'nt know it until I had my hip needed replacing the first time. I knew this ofcourse but it was nice to hear the opinion of a professional. I have now been referred to another acute back pain clinic who should help me deal with the pain etc. At the moment I can't stand still for more than a few minutes at a time. When I iron I have to keep stopping and sitting down for a few minutes and standing in a queue is awful. Funnily enough I can work in the shop for a little while as I don't stand still and I keep moving around but even then I can't do very long at a time. Fortunately I don't have to.

I can reapply in 6 months, but I'm not holding my breath!

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby Meg50 » 20 Jul 2016 18:22

tobysgranny wrote:
Mungo wrote:Don't give up Joan. Keep writing, emailing, bringing it to attention everywhere. How long before you can apply again? Wishing you eventual success. :thumbup:
6 months Sue.

Funny thing is that I have just been to the acute back pain clinic and have been told that I have a chronic post op problem in my left hip area as I have had it replaced three times and I also have a chronic problem in my lower back due to the 50 years I lolloped around having a displaced hip and did'nt know it until I had my hip needed replacing the first time. I knew this ofcourse but it was nice to hear the opinion of a professional. I have now been referred to another acute back pain clinic who should help me deal with the pain etc. At the moment I can't stand still for more than a few minutes at a time. When I iron I have to keep stopping and sitting down for a few minutes and standing in a queue is awful. Funnily enough I can work in the shop for a little while as I don't stand still and I keep moving around but even then I can't do very long at a time. Fortunately I don't have to.

Joan

get all the above symptoms added to the form - along with documentary references
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blue Badges

Postby grannyM » 20 Jul 2016 18:30

Joan, this is utterly ridiculous. Is there no appeal process? :evil:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby JollyJill » 20 Jul 2016 21:02

A friend of mine has been reading this thread and asked me to advise you of the following, in the hope it might help.

The government department which deals with Blue Badges has really cracked down and quite rightly. The system is designed to weed out the false applications but occasionally, needy applicants are turned down because they don't answer the questions to the letter. It's best to get CAB or Age Concern to help you fill in the forms. They won't help you by lying but they can decipher the official speak and help you answer the questions correctly.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blue Badges

Postby octocruiser » 20 Jul 2016 21:06

bobbyoscar wrote:As Sue has mentioned, try not to become disheartened but continue making a 'noise' until someone starts to listen to you. Would your GP write to them, on your behalf?

Sadly, I think you will find that the process no longer takes into account any opinion from health professionals . It hinges totally on the ability to meet their stringent checks.

I have a neighbour who was a community nurse and coming up towards her retirement she was put onto a team that had to carry out these assessments. She said it was the worst period of her career . In fact she actually applied for early retirement and went sick for the last few weeks until it was actually accepted and processed because she could no longer face either having to tell people who were long time badge holders tnat they no longer qualified, or the abuse tnat she was getting from some of tnese people.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Blue Badges

Postby divingbrit » 20 Jul 2016 22:28

having to tell people who were long time badge holders that they no longer qualified,

Conversely it is true that some people do get better, and therefore need to give up their Blue Badges, there has to be a line drawn, the problem is when the illness is one of the 'hidden' ones, not obvious at a glance.

But when a Blue Badge is taken away from someone with a missing leg, then something has really gone wrong with the system.

Back to the filling of the forms, and getting expert help, Lynn before I met here, struggled to bring up two disabled kids, Autistic/Tourretts, AHAD/ speech and learning problems (yep a full page of anachronisms !) This was 25 years ago, and a single parent to boot. Help from experts? No, looking down the side of the sofa, to find enough money to buy a bag of rice for that days meal, YES

But a helpful Councillor got to hear, and knew help was available, but he needed to use the right 'Buzz' words. Now, Lynn is employed by the Council,to help those who slip through the social services safety net.

An Expert knows the right words, to get what is due.
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 20 Jul 2016 23:00

Meg50 wrote:
tobysgranny wrote:
6 months Sue.

Joan

get all the above symptoms added to the form - along with documentary references[/quote

That's what I intend to do Meg, thanks.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 20 Jul 2016 23:07

divingbrit wrote:
having to tell people who were long time badge holders that they no longer qualified,

Conversely it is true that some people do get better, and therefore need to give up their Blue Badges, there has to be a line drawn, the problem is when the illness is one of the 'hidden' ones, not obvious at a glance.

But when a Blue Badge is taken away from someone with a missing leg, then something has really gone wrong with the system.

Back to the filling of the forms, and getting expert help, Lynn before I met here, struggled to bring up two disabled kids, Autistic/Tourretts, AHAD/ speech and learning problems (yep a full page of anachronisms !) This was 25 years ago, and a single parent to boot. Help from experts? No, looking down the side of the sofa, to find enough money to buy a bag of rice for that days meal, YES

But a helpful Councillor got to hear, and knew help was available, but he needed to use the right 'Buzz' words. Now, Lynn is employed by the Council,to help those who slip through the social services safety net.

An Expert knows the right words, to get what is due.[/quote

I think that is very true. I shall certainly have help filling in the forms next time. Kath where are you???

Joan

P.s. I see you were one of the Gamesmakers at the 2012 Olympics. Can I just say what a wonderful job you all did. The
whole thing was wonderful. We were in the Stadium on Super Saturday so you can imagine what that was like.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby bobbyoscar » 21 Jul 2016 07:33

Joan, I couldn't agree more with what has been said regarding getting help to complete the form.

The first time Andy applied for DLA (16 years ago), he was turned down because he hadn't given enough information. We appealed and spoke to someone in the Disability Centre, here in Bedford and a very kind lady went thru the form with us.

To give an example, I can remember one of the questions asking, 'Do you require help with getting dressed?

He replied 'No',

She asked him to describe what he did when getting dressed.

He replied, 'I have to sit down on the bed'

Why?

' Because if my vision is blocked, I lose my balance and will fall over'

Lady, 'Did you put that in your form?'

Andy, 'No, I didn't think they wanted all that information.'

On resubmitting the form, a Dr was sent out to assess him and the Award was then granted 'for life'.

I guess what I am trying to say is that detail and examples about you must be given, there is no such thing as too much detail.

Part of my role as the School Senco is to complete these type of forms for our children - the bit which says 'Please provide a report from a professional who knows your child'. Fortunately for our own situation, I am able to go into 'work mode' when they need to be completed.

Joan, good luck and if there is any practical way I can be of help, you know where I am.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext

Return to Health & Beauty