Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Blue Badges

Blue Badges

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Jul 2016 09:08

I told the assessor that I have to help Dressing particularly putting on my support stockings that I can't get on by myself. Like Andy I also have to sit down when dressing as I am liable to fall over as I have not very good balance. I have been known to fall over on occasions. However, it seems to me that it all boiled down to this walk along this corridor timed by a stop watch and the fact I could talk as I walked and I did not stop (which I did) but she said I didn't. The whole thing was humiliating. If the walk had been outside around say the block when one has to negotiate uneven footpaths, kerbs and other hazards I think that would be a better judge of people's ability to walk.

All I can say is that I will be better prepared next time.

It is true that they are not interested in the opinion of health professionals when making the decision. Which I find unbelievable.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby octocruiser » 21 Jul 2016 17:27

tobysgranny wrote:
divingbrit wrote:
having to tell people who were long time badge holders that they no longer qualified,

Conversely it is true that some people do get better, and therefore need to give up their Blue Badges, there has to be a line drawn, the problem is when the illness is one of the 'hidden' ones, not obvious at a glance.

But when a Blue Badge is taken away from someone with a missing leg, then something has really gone wrong with the system.

Back to the filling of the forms, and getting expert help, Lynn before I met here, struggled to bring up two disabled kids, Autistic/Tourretts, AHAD/ speech and learning problems (yep a full page of anachronisms !) This was 25 years ago, and a single parent to boot. Help from experts? No, looking down the side of the sofa, to find enough money to buy a bag of rice for that days meal, YES

But a helpful Councillor got to hear, and knew help was available, but he needed to use the right 'Buzz' words. Now, Lynn is employed by the Council,to help those who slip through the social services safety net.

An Expert knows the right words, to get what is due.[/quote

I think that is very true. I shall certainly have help filling in the forms next time. Kath where are you???

Joan

P.s. I see you were one of the Gamesmakers at the 2012 Olympics. Can I just say what a wonderful job you all did. The
whole thing was wonderful. We were in the Stadium on Super Saturday so you can imagine what that was like.

As it happens, Kath just read that after having been reduced to tears by another set of forms!

A few weeks ago my doctor commented that he felt I needed more support and respite and with the best of intentions appears to have put through a referral to an 'expert' advice service. I have been contacted by various people suggesting this that and the other and after one such call I received an official form through the post to apply for a particular benefit ( We'll call this form X ) Since I hadn't asked for it myself I assumed it had been requested on my behalf pending a visit from an advisor. I then got a call from an 'expert ' who arranged a meeting. I said I had had the form and assumed her call was about this .(?) I got a vague Yes.

When I actually met her it was not specifically about this but she would arrange for help in completing the form. She also asked a lot more questions and seemed to instigate referrals to other ' bodies'. I have so far had no further contact about any of it , but today I got a letter (needless to say with another different form ) reminding me that a form (X ) had been sent to me and giving me a deadline for completion and return of both forms. It also said I had requested this on Tueday 19th . No I had not.

Still with me ????

My advisor had given me a contact number which seemed to have a strange format but I tried on my mobile as I am not at home . Number not available. I 'borrowed ' the use of a landline and the number rang !!! She was not available until Monday ! Surprise ! Surprise ! But as I said there was some urgency the colleague offered to help. After various questions she was able to confirm what I already knew .......and promised that she would ask my advisor to contact me .....on Monday .

Up to now I have been doing any form filling myself despite offers of help on occasion. The only time an application has been turned down was when I had accepted 'expert ' help.

However, just looking at the form I got today It is full of such damnfool questions that I gave up and decided that I would rather go without the benefit than deal with the form. At the moment I feel as if I am trying to swim in treacle.

By all means ask for expert help, but at the moment all I can say is - Don't bother if you are in a hurry.

By the way, on another point the doctor had promised to get an 'expert' from his own staff to get info for me. I did get a phone call asking for more detail of requirements followed about a month later by a bulky package of leaflets, etc. Without wanting to sound ungrateful there really was very little in it which was directly helpful and in the meantime I had done my own research and found and instigated what seems to be a satisfactory solution.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 22 Jul 2016 03:20

Just a quick post to let you know I have an appointment with my MP tomorrow afternoon. I will, ofcourse, let you know how I get on.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Blue Badges

Postby Eleanor » 22 Jul 2016 06:37

It's outrageous,Joan, that you and all the other deserving cases (like my own disabled grandson aged 11) have to jump through all the hoops and still are denied this facility that was intended for them in the first place. Keep the fighting spirit and good luck.
Eleanor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 22 Jul 2016 08:16

Thank you Eleanor.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby grannyM » 22 Jul 2016 10:48

tobysgranny wrote:Just a quick post to let you know I have an appointment with my MP tomorrow afternoon. I will, ofcourse, let you know how I get on.

Joan

That's good Joan. Hope you get some help with this absurd decision. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 22 Jul 2016 15:05

Thanks Marie, but I don't think anything can be done but I want him to be aware of the situation for me and 1000's of others. Perhaps I can persuade others in the same situation to lobby their MPs.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 22 Jul 2016 20:38

Had a very positive meeting with my MP tonight. He will be very supportive when I reapply at the end of the year. He completely agreed with me it was very unfair that I was in this situation and he and his constituency manager said they will help me with the forms and if necessary any appeal. He said it was such a shame that my appeal went through so quickly as he would have assisted me. Feeling positive at last.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Blue Badges

Postby sevenseascoaster » 22 Jul 2016 22:31

Sorry to read all your trials and tribulations and humiliations Joan, positive thoughts that now you have an MP behind you, the correct decision will be made and you will regain your Blue Badge.

Not sure when Ps is due for renewal, but do remember the last time he had asked his Doctor for a letter on his condition, (a deteriorating debilitating condition called PPS) and there was no problem with the renewal. So hopefully there will be no problem when its renewed one hopes?. If you struggle every day, to carry out simple tasks that able bodied people take for granted and do without thinking, it s stressful enough without these 'people' making decisions on your behalf when they have no idea what a struggle every day is and stress adds to it!!!!!

I realise that there must be many out there holding Blue Badges, who have them under false pretences, and these should be taken away, but surely these Officials should have enough training to spot the 'real' from the fakes? One would have thought?

Good luck with your appeal.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Blue Badges

Postby tobysgranny » 22 Jul 2016 23:03

Thanks Wen. Sincerely hope P doesn't experience any problems when renewing his badge.

A friend if mine us a long time carer for a 15 year old boy (she and her husband have had him since he was 3) and they actually came to her house to assess him and he is completely wheelchair bound and needs a hoist to get in and out of bed etc.

On our way back from Southampton Cruiseport a couple of weeks ago we stopped off at Sainsburys in Ferndown, Bournemouth and as we sat in the Cafe waiting for our breakfast there must have been around A dozen or so cars used the Disabled car Park which was just outside the window and I can honestly say that only one person coming into the shop walked worse than me and she didn't even use a stick. All the rest walked in without a limp between them and not a stick in site. One guy almost ran into the Store. I know you can't always tell what is wrong with people by appearance but on the law of averages...................

My MP was quite surprised on how One is assessed on their walking abilities when appealing.

I do feel much happier tonight having spoken to Mr. Streeter knowing I will have his support when I next need it and he did make a lot of notes as I went along.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to Health & Beauty