Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Postby tobysgranny » 01 Jun 2017 16:47

I've just been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation thanks to a very observant podiatrist who did a doplar test on my first visit and picked up an irregular heartbeat. A subsequent ecg confirmed this and I have been put on Rivaroxaban to control this. What I was wondering is if anyone else has this condition and has it affected their travel insurance?

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Travel Insurance

Postby judgegeoff » 01 Jun 2017 17:35

Chris and I were very sorry to learn about your condition Joan, but at least it has been diagnosed and you are receiving the medication that will control it. As regards travel insurance, I would be very surprised if the insurers do not require an increased premium, sadly they seem to take every opportunity to increase premiums. However, you never know - when I told my motor insurance company that I was now driving a car fitted with hand controls, I was expecting them to increase the premium, but they did not. So fingers crossed for you Joan.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Travel Insurance

Postby tobysgranny » 01 Jun 2017 17:47

Fortunately we have nothing booked at the moment as we planned not to cruise this year, but I would like to go on one
next to Year that doesn't require flying. We are assuming they have now paid my claim for my accident in Florida, but we have heard nothing to suggest this. Up until a month or so ago they just kept saying they had received the relevant paperwork and were dealing with it. We can only assume as we have heard nothing further they have finally paid it.

I expect this development will cost me extra cash. Funnily enough we have just had the renewal in the post today!

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Travel Insurance

Postby grannyM » 01 Jun 2017 18:19

Sorry to hear about this new diagnosis Joan but how good it was that the podiatrist picked it up before you had more symptoms.

As regards any new travel insurance I agree with Geoff - any excuse for insurance companies to add to your premium. I was referred for tests for Atrial Fibrillation last year so I did look to see if it would affect our insurance, and it would have. Fortunately by the time I had all the hospital test I was on medication for HB pressure and things had settled down so it was not diagnosed.

As your renewal is now due and you don't have anything booked it may be an idea to leave that until you actually book something. Especially before they pay out for your claim. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Travel Insurance

Postby bobbyoscar » 01 Jun 2017 18:20

Sorry to hear that you have been in the 'wars', Joan.

AF is one of the conditions which Andy suffers from and you shouldn't have a problem with most insurance companies. The problem we have is that it's only one of nine other conditions that Andy suffers from and it's the other conditions that cause the problem with being able to get cover.

We have been able to get cover with AllClear, Staysure, Saga and this year we are using Explorer. Explorer are charging us for our 2 week cruise to the Baltic £229 which includes cover for canx ports and covers all his existing conditions.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Travel Insurance

Postby tobysgranny » 01 Jun 2017 19:47

bobbyoscar wrote:Sorry to hear that you have been in the 'wars', Joan.

AF is one of the conditions which Andy suffers from and you shouldn't have a problem with most insurance companies. The problem we have is that it's only one of nine other conditions that Andy suffers from and it's the other conditions that cause the problem with being able to get cover.

We have been able to get cover with AllClear, Staysure, Saga and this year we are using Explorer. Explorer are charging us for our 2 week cruise to the Baltic £229 which includes cover for canx ports and covers all his existing conditions.

It's good to know that there are alternatives to Lloyds (Axa) which we use at the moment through our Bank.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I went to the Doctor this morning but now I have the diagnosis and the medication I need I am getting used to the idea. I'm quite glad he didn't preach about my weight. My daughter, who lives with us now, are both on Slimming World and I've lost 17 lbs so far. I want to lose as much as possible for that Mother-of-the-Bride outfit for my youngest daughter's wedding in September.

HopecAndy is doing o.k. At the moment.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Travel Insurance

Postby tobysgranny » 01 Jun 2017 19:59

grannyM wrote:Sorry to hear about this new diagnosis Joan but how good it was that the podiatrist picked it up before you had more symptoms.

As regards any new travel insurance I agree with Geoff - any excuse for insurance companies to add to your premium. I was referred for tests for Atrial Fibrillation last year so I did look to see if it would affect our insurance, and it would have. Fortunately by the time I had all the hospital test I was on medication for HB pressure and things had settled down so it was not diagnosed.

As your renewal is now due and you don't have anything booked it may be an idea to leave that until you actually book something. Especially before they pay out for your claim. :?

Glad to hear Marie you did not have AF. I didn't know a lot about it but the doctor spent along time explaining this morning. He gave me the choice between warfarin and a drug called Rivaroxaben which doesn't require constant blood tests so I opted for this one.

How's Tom doing these day? Is he keeping well?

I think I'll take your advice about telling the insurance people about my condition.

Good to 'talk' again.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby jocap » 01 Jun 2017 20:08

Sorry to hear this.. we've been with Staysure for a few years, though the main medical condition is Gavin's diabetes, but there's other minor things for both of us... for our last, longer cruise, we went with Insure and Go, who covered for a year with no problems, and have offered us next year's insurance for 7 trips!- and will cover hotels etc at Southampton. So we've taken out another year with them
Like all insurance, though, it seems you get a good deal for a year or two, and then you need to look elsewhere... :O
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 01 Jun 2017 20:14

jocap wrote:Sorry to hear this.. we've been with Staysure for a few years, though the main medical condition is Gavin's diabetes, but there's other minor things for both of us... for our last, longer cruise, we went with Insure and Go, who covered for a year with no problems, and have offered us next year's insurance for 7 trips!- and will cover hotels etc at Southampton. So we've taken out another year with them
Like all insurance, though, it seems you get a good deal for a year or two, and then you need to look elsewhere... :O

Thanks for the tip Jo.

Hope you and Gavin are well.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Peka » 01 Jun 2017 22:34

Hi all,

Joan, sorry to hear your diagnosis hope that the meds are helping.

I was just about to start a new thread on travel insurance but saw this is pretty active at the moment and also is related to heart problems.

My dad had a minor heart attack at the start of the year and since was declared to the travel insurance (Aviva) they will not cover it (he has pre-existing conditions they have covered) and now this is being excluded for at least a year (I think)

Is there anyone who has or can recommend a "heart" specific insurance obviously with cruise cover and preferably an annual policy. Hard to trawl through the millions of websites claiming to offer insurance and then at the last minute it won't cover or it doesn't cover cruises. Not good when we have a booked cruise for next month. :( He has travelled since - only in the last 2 weeks which included flying and he is fit to travel, but I guess for that trip he wasn't fully covered. :roll:
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Health & Beauty