Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Update following my fall

Update following my fall

Update following my fall

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Jun 2018 06:22

Yesterday I visited the Royal Gwent Hospital to see the Consultant regarding my knee which I knew possibly needed replacing following a referral by my GP back last December. This visit was quite fortunate as I’m still in a lot of pain following my fall two weeks ago (following my discharge from Cardiology) and still only able to walk with difficulty using a walking frame.

He organised more X-rays of both my knee and hip and confirmed the knee does need replacing. He also pointed out that he thinks when I had my last two hip replacements they didn’t replace the stem only the joint and I may have dislodged this slightly during the fall but time will tell when I finally come off the pain killers.

I had to weigh up having the knee done which could possibly happen in 2/3 months and The possibility of having a 4th op on my hip. I opted to stay on the list for my knee otherwise I will go back to the bottom of the list and have to start all over again. This could possibly be delayed anyway when I have my pre op assessment following my recent visit to cardiology.

Getting slightly worried about our impending cruise on Q.V. in November.

Have any of you had a knee replacement and what was the recovery time?

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Update following my fall

Postby Mungo » 21 Jun 2018 07:52

Oh Joan. Poor you. x

Sorry I can’t help re knee replacements myself, but a few friends’ parents have had them and given them a new lease of life. Can’t remember them saying recovery took ages.

I hope you manage your cruise. Best not to worry too much atm as hopefully you’ll cope. I’m determined to make mine next month. Fingers crossed my wounds won’t still need dressing but if they do I’ll have to ensure I have enough supplies and hubby will have to help me! ;)
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Update following my fall

Postby grannyM » 21 Jun 2018 10:29

So sorry to hear you are still in pain from your fall Joan. I agree it is probably best to have the knee done when you are given a date. Especially if the alternative is to go back to the bottom of the list which would be a pity. Fingers crossed you are called sooner than later and recovered fully, able to do the QV cruise. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Update following my fall

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Jun 2018 17:25

Mungo wrote:Oh Joan. Poor you. x

Sorry I can’t help re knee replacements myself, but a few friends’ parents have had them and given them a new lease of life. Can’t remember them saying recovery took ages.

I hope you manage your cruise. Best not to worry too much atm as hopefully you’ll cope. I’m determined to make mine next month. Fingers crossed my wounds won’t still need dressing but if they do I’ll have to ensure I have enough supplies and hubby will have to help me! ;)

I hope Sue that you will be o.k. and can go and enjoy your cruise next month

JOAN
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Update following my fall

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Jun 2018 17:28

Thanks Marie now trying to sort out travel insurance.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Update following my fall

Postby grannyM » 11 Jul 2018 18:48

Hi Joan, just wondering how you are feeling since your last update. Hopefully you are not in as much pain as before. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Update following my fall

Postby Seamouse » 15 Jul 2018 17:20

Hope you start feeling better soon. Good luck with your knee op. I also am having problems, with both knees. Last time I went to the Doctors, about it I was told 'your pain is only moderate, and they prefer to operate, when you are a little older!!' Maybe I qualify for that now, I have just had my 70th Birthday. I intend to go back fairly soon, I will have to see a different Dr. anyway, as our other one has now retired.
Chris
Seamouse
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Update following my fall

Postby tobysgranny » 18 Jul 2018 02:20

grannyM wrote:Hi Joan, just wondering how you are feeling since your last update. Hopefully you are not in as much pain as before. :)

Hi Marie, I’m progressing fairly well and not in so much pain except for my knee. I am trying to reduce the amount of painkillers I take. My mobility isn’t great yet and I still struggle to walk any distance. I havn’t managed to walk Alfie yet and I am missing my daily walk with him. Richard has been great and is still doing the cooking as I find standing for any time gives me chronic backache. I try to do a little at a time to help and I even even managed to iron a little bit today, although it took me ages as I had to keep sitting down.

I am due to have a Cardiology follow up in September and hoping It will be o.k. for my knee op which could be round about the same time.

The next big problem is travel insurance as my travel insurer won’t insure me on the annual policy now but may consider trip by trip. They have quoted well over £900 for our cruise in November.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Update following my fall

Postby tobysgranny » 18 Jul 2018 02:39

Seamouse wrote:Hope you start feeling better soon. Good luck with your knee op. I also am having problems, with both knees. Last time I went to the Doctors, about it I was told 'your pain is only moderate, and they prefer to operate, when you are a little older!!' Maybe I qualify for that now, I have just had my 70th Birthday. I intend to go back fairly soon, I will have to see a different Dr. anyway, as our other one has now retired.

Hi Chris,

Belated Happy Birthday.

I hope you have more success in having a referral when you consult your doctor regarding your knees. I know how painful it is. You really want to get on the waiting list a,s.a.p. I was referred by my G P back in early December last year and waited around seven months to see a consultant and after some more xrays he told me my knee was almost ‘bone on bone’. He then said that if I decided to go ahead with the op it could possibly be in in 2/3 months which surprised me as I thought I would have to wait a lot longer. I know waiting lists are different depending on where you live. It all now depends on my next visit to Cardiology whether or not it will go ahead.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Return to Health & Beauty