Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Knee Replacement Operation

Knee Replacement Operation

Postby tobysgranny » 26 Jan 2019 08:40

As you know I’ve been waiting a very long time for this op. But apparently I’ve been pencilled in for 26th Feb. I only found this out when I tried to bring forward an appointment on Feb. 15th to have my swabs redone which were taken when I had my pre-op consultation recently. Apparently the swabs usually last for three months but in my case as I was in hospital last year I have to have them redone after one month. Not sure why!

It now looks like we will have to cancel our cruise for April as the op. could be postponed at any time. 26th Feb. Is exactly 8 weeks before we would sail. Not sure we can take that chance.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 26 Jan 2019 15:52

Such a shame, Joan, but your health comes first. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 26 Jan 2019 18:09

Good news Joan. Fingers crossed everything goes to schedule and you have your operation on 26th February. :thumbup:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby bobbyoscar » 26 Jan 2019 20:49

Thinking of you, Joan xx
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Mungo » 27 Jan 2019 10:40

Best wishes! :thumbup:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby octocruiser » 27 Jan 2019 13:51

I do hope this will be entirely successful and you will feel the benefit for a long time to come. It’s a pity about the cruise but hopefully you will feel much more spritely when you are able to get to sea again.

I hope you don’t get any further delay . You must GET IT DONE before they say you are too old.

I have been advised that I need surgery on my knee, my foot and another more personal area :o but in all cases they have been ruled out because of age and past medical history. I am getting regular injections on my knee which do help a great deal. Done by the Consultant himself on the spot, and with an open appointment to get back easily.
My foot is treated at a different clinic where they do the injections but make a lot of fuss and delay.
They stopped my open appointment and I had to go through the system to go to Gloucester last week expecting to get one and they couldn’t do it because the scanning equipment they use to locate the injection point was at Another clinic ! :( . They apologised and said they would speed up and give me an appointment closer to home But not until early Feb. It still has not been confirmed.

Anyway all best wishes and make sure you get anything else fixed that needs it before they pull the plug :thumbup:

Cherrs Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tobysgranny » 28 Jan 2019 08:39

Thank you all for your good wishes. I’ll keep you up to date when I know any more.

It will be good to get it over and done with as it has been hanging over me for a long time. I’m sure it is only happening sooner as I contacted our Complaints and Concerns Dept. (There is no PALS at our Hospital Board) when my Consultant had been changed for a third time with no explanation. When I raised my ‘concern’ they couldn’t give me an explanation other than my original Consultant had left to go to another hospital and confirmed I was still looking at April at the earliest. However I had a surprise phone call two weeks ago offering me a cancelled appointment for a pre-op assessment with the Consultant.

I only found out I had been ‘pencilled’ in for 26th Feb. When I rang up to try and change a date for my swabs to be redone.

Kath I hope you get some of your problems sorted out and you get a satisfactory outcome. It is miserable being in constant pain and the feeling your are being pushed from pillar to post.

I don’t know what it is like where you are but parking to get to any of the clinics here is dreadful. Royal Gwent was built, I would Imagine in the 60’s, and there is very limited parking for staff, patients or visitors. The other hospital where I go to for my dermatology is very old and is even worse and built on a very steep hill. Just getting to an appointment can be a bit of a nightmare.

Best wishes to you.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 30 Jan 2019 17:56

Just had a phone call to say I'm finally having my op. on Tuesday. Have to ring in before turning up at the ward at 7 am to make sure there is still a bed for me.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby CGBOWLER » 30 Jan 2019 18:50

Very best wishes Kath. I hope all goes to plan for you and you are soon well on the way to recovery.
I'm considering writing an account of my experiences with the NHS-it would be mainly a horror story.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Jan 2019 19:08

tobysgranny wrote:Just had a phone call to say I'm finally having my op. on Tuesday. Have to ring in before turning up at the ward at 7 am to make sure there is still a bed for me.

Joan

Fingers crossed for Tuesday Joan, Chris and I send our best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Health & Beauty