Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Can we afford to cruise again?

Can we afford to cruise again?

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby CGBOWLER » 07 Oct 2013 01:07

Thank you Marie and Glynis.
I'm sure with the help you have given me I'll be able to find a company which will insure him ---for less than £700. :roll:
Maybe not this year though. Will let the dust settle.
Irene
User avatar
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 01 Mar 2011 00:08
Location: CLECKHEATON, WEST YORKSHIRE
National Flag:
England

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby octocruiser » 07 Oct 2013 16:36

CGBOWLER wrote:When we first started looking for annual insurance Saga would not give us a quote.
Insure and Go did and we were with them until they changed or passed us on to Aviva. There might have been another company in between but I can't remember. :?
Our GP, bless him, took one day to fill in the form to claim about the pacemaker. :D Charged £20 though.
The car park near LBA refunded most of our prepaid charges (Sentinel) so will recommend them.
Now gathering all the stuff Aviva wants. Fingers crossed.


I think a lot does depend on age as well as health conditions. Prior to the heart attack I had no declarable conditions and had always had a choice of providers for annual cover. Since then we have never been able to get an annual policy. But we have been able to shop around a bit for single trip cover.

However, after the fiasco of the last year or so when the problem was more about the fact that I was waiting for treatment rather than about the severity of any condition involved I was refused cover by pretty well all of them despite never ever having had to make a claim. Mr Octo has nothing to declare but his age ;) and has also never had to make a claim. This is why we are so grateful to take the included cover with Saga . Incidentally although it is the same company the inclusive cruise insurance is dealt with as part of the cruise booking process and is rather different to insuring with saga for holidays with other operators.

There comes a point where you have to accept that annual insurance is not for you, but there is life after annual insurance and there is still scope for finding single trip cover albeit it may come at a price.

Cheers Kath
User avatar
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: 05 May 2013 11:56
Location: Gloucestershire
National Flag:
England

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby JC-Liverpool » 07 Oct 2013 18:26

Hi Irene.
Just a couple of months after my Heart by-Pass i got annual cover with Staysure for just over £200,i also have diabetes (tablet & injection),,my wife declared high BP,,,,and Hiatus Hernia.

My insurer before my operation was a company called Easy,who covered my Angina,diabetes and informed of past HA.
They were brilliant in paying out when i had to cancel 2 cruises due to my operation.
They said they would cover my Heart BP,,,but only after 12 months had passed.

Keep looking.
JC
JC-Liverpool
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 461
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 18:01

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby CGBOWLER » 08 Oct 2013 00:27

JC-Liverpool wrote:Hi Irene.
Just a couple of months after my Heart by-Pass i got annual cover with Staysure for just over £200,i also have diabetes (tablet & injection),,my wife declared high BP,,,,and Hiatus Hernia.

My insurer before my operation was a company called Easy,who covered my Angina,diabetes and informed of past HA.
They were brilliant in paying out when i had to cancel 2 cruises due to my operation.
They said they would cover my Heart BP,,,but only after 12 months had passed.

Keep looking.
JC

Thanks JC.
OH has his pacemaker checked 8th November so will probably look for a holiday after that and will check insurance companies then.
Several people have mentioned Staysure so I'll start with them. :)
Irene
User avatar
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 01 Mar 2011 00:08
Location: CLECKHEATON, WEST YORKSHIRE
National Flag:
England

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby CGBOWLER » 24 Oct 2013 13:02

Aviva have settled our insurance claim with no trouble. We received a very nice letter yesterday and the money has gone into our bank today. :D
Irene
User avatar
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 01 Mar 2011 00:08
Location: CLECKHEATON, WEST YORKSHIRE
National Flag:
England

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby JollyJill » 24 Oct 2013 14:20

CGBOWLER wrote:Aviva have settled our insurance claim with no trouble. We received a very nice letter yesterday and the money has gone into our bank today. :D

It's nice to hear of a positive outcome Irene. :)
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 14:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby Barry » 24 Oct 2013 14:54

CGBOWLER wrote:Aviva have settled our insurance claim with no trouble. We received a very nice letter yesterday and the money has gone into our bank today. :D


Excellent result :thumbup:

I have had dealings with Aviva for life insurance claims on behalf of family, on each of the occasions I dealt with Aviva they were very good indeed.
Even including a life insurance policy with them that none of the family knew about, which turned out to be for a significant sum of money, Aviva advised me about it very quickly and helped me on a couple of occasions while I was going through probate procedure. Nice to hear someone else with a positive result :thumbup:

cheers

Barry
User avatar
Barry
Commodore
Commodore
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: 06 May 2013 18:31

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby CGBOWLER » 10 Apr 2014 00:53

Problems with Insure and Go.
We decided we would book another cruise and chose a Thomson Spirit one visiting places in England, Ireland and Scotland in August.
We looked around for insurance and finally went for Insure and Go.
The companies seem wary of people with a pacemaker.
We paid £192-76 altogether, which includes cover for all OH's conditions including the pacemaker. This is for one week. It was going to be about £700 for annual insurance and we were not planning to do more hols. so we opted for cover for just the one.
Then the Celtic Connections cruise came up and it was such a good offer we booked that as well. This is visiting the same countries but different ports except for Dublin.
We went back to Insure and Go thinking it would avoid having to go through all OH's conditions again with a different company. It didn't.
They fire questions at you for health screening and they alleged that OH had answered one of them differently. As a result they would have to cancel the policy and issue a new one. They would charge £192-76 again and refund the original £192-76. :roll:
Monday we received the policy certificates - two of each for each cruise.
The screening cover for May is OK ; Europe, excluding Spain, Cyprus, Malta and Turkey.
The screening cover for August just says "Other Non-European Countries."
I phoned them - 0844 number because I forgot about "Say no to 0871" :oops:
Man said this policy would have to be cancelled. When I asked if that was necessary, given that they had already taken three payments for 2 cruises, he said he would speak to someone about it and would I mind holding - for about eleven minutes. I said I would mind so he said he would get them to ring me back, in about twenty minutes.
So, after 24 hours waiting it was time to call again. "Say No To 0871" gave an 0800 number but that was not recognised, but it did give an 01702 one which was.
Same tale- would cancel policy, re-issue and re-charge. I told them it was their fault and I did not want to pay for the fourth time as they still owed me £192-76. He asked if he could ring me back after he had spoken to his supervisor. "Are you sure?" I asked. He promised to ring back straight away. He did :!:
I was then passed to the sales team - on hold for another eight minutes. (Had already been on hold for about ten waiting for someone to become available in the first place.)
It was decided that the wording on the policy didn't matter and we will be covered. We agreed on the time of the call, his name and he gave me his supervisor's name.
What's the betting that should we need to claim they will both have left. :roll:
We have never claimed for any medical incident and I sincerely hope this is not going to be the first time.
I was told it takes a week for the refund to be processed. When we cancelled the insurance we took out with Thomson when we booked (AXA wouldn't cover OH) the girl asked us to go to our local Thomson shop and they would authorize it. The payment was back in our account the next day.
I was warned that Insure and Go are not good at paying up. Sorry Bobbyoscar, I should have listened. :(
Be warned!
Irene
User avatar
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 01 Mar 2011 00:08
Location: CLECKHEATON, WEST YORKSHIRE
National Flag:
England

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby JollyJill » 10 Apr 2014 07:31

CGBOWLER wrote:Problems with Insure and Go.
We decided we would book another cruise and chose a Thomson Spirit one visiting places in England, Ireland and Scotland in August.
We looked around for insurance and finally went for Insure and Go.
The companies seem wary of people with a pacemaker.
We paid £192-76 altogether, which includes cover for all OH's conditions including the pacemaker. This is for one week. It was going to be about £700 for annual insurance and we were not planning to do more hols. so we opted for cover for just the one.
Then the Celtic Connections cruise came up and it was such a good offer we booked that as well. This is visiting the same countries but different ports except for Dublin.
We went back to Insure and Go thinking it would avoid having to go through all OH's conditions again with a different company. It didn't.
They fire questions at you for health screening and they alleged that OH had answered one of them differently. As a result they would have to cancel the policy and issue a new one. They would charge £192-76 again and refund the original £192-76. :roll:
Monday we received the policy certificates - two of each for each cruise.
The screening cover for May is OK ; Europe, excluding Spain, Cyprus, Malta and Turkey.
The screening cover for August just says "Other Non-European Countries."
I phoned them - 0844 number because I forgot about "Say no to 0871" :oops:
Man said this policy would have to be cancelled. When I asked if that was necessary, given that they had already taken three payments for 2 cruises, he said he would speak to someone about it and would I mind holding - for about eleven minutes. I said I would mind so he said he would get them to ring me back, in about twenty minutes.
So, after 24 hours waiting it was time to call again. "Say No To 0871" gave an 0800 number but that was not recognised, but it did give an 01702 one which was.
Same tale- would cancel policy, re-issue and re-charge. I told them it was their fault and I did not want to pay for the fourth time as they still owed me £192-76. He asked if he could ring me back after he had spoken to his supervisor. "Are you sure?" I asked. He promised to ring back straight away. He did :!:
I was then passed to the sales team - on hold for another eight minutes. (Had already been on hold for about ten waiting for someone to become available in the first place.)
It was decided that the wording on the policy didn't matter and we will be covered. We agreed on the time of the call, his name and he gave me his supervisor's name.
What's the betting that should we need to claim they will both have left. :roll:
We have never claimed for any medical incident and I sincerely hope this is not going to be the first time.
I was told it takes a week for the refund to be processed. When we cancelled the insurance we took out with Thomson when we booked (AXA wouldn't cover OH) the girl asked us to go to our local Thomson shop and they would authorize it. The payment was back in our account the next day.
I was warned that Insure and Go are not good at paying up. Sorry Bobbyoscar, I should have listened. :(
Be warned!


What a ridiculous state of affairs Irene and how very annoying. :evil:
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 14:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Can we afford to cruise again?

Postby tobysgranny » 10 Apr 2014 07:55

That is so ridiculous Irene. I hope you have had your refund by now.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: 27 Aug 2012 18:39
Location: Newport, South Wales
National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Health & Beauty



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron