Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Holiday injections

Holiday injections

Holiday injections

Postby Hannah » 23 May 2014 15:06

Not sure if this has been covered yet. We went for our booster jabs last night in readiness for our cruise to Cape Town in October. Both had booster for Hep A, typhoid and tetanus under NHS, plus paid £23 each for Hep B, first of three injections. Do you research for immunisation before you go away? I wonder how many you would need for a worldie?
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Holiday injections

Postby judgegeoff » 23 May 2014 15:22

About 2 months before the holiday we get a travel form from our GP's surgery and fill it in with all the places we will be visiting. The practice nurses check and advise us if there is any need for any additional jabs etc. If they are not 100% sure they refer us to our local Travel Clinic who are the experts. But we keep up to date with all the usual jabs, including Hepatitis 'B' which are free at our GP Practice.

I believe that a yellow fever jab is recommended for Dakar, Senegal, but we had this jab at our Travel Clinic a few years ago (not free and quite costly). Hence it will cover us for our visit on the "MSC Opera" early next year, as it lasts 10 years I think.

Our Practice Nurse gave us little booklets that are filled in as the jabs are given (they also note the protection expiry dates) and we find these invaluable for keeping a check of what we are covered for. Ask your GP's surgery if they can give you one of these little booklets.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Holiday injections

Postby JollyJill » 23 May 2014 15:48

We have had to have jabs for some places we have visited in recent years. We have found that if immunisation is a requirement before we travel, then the cruise line have told us. An example of that was when we were told we had to have a Yellow Fever jab before out first Amazon cruise. It cost us about £50 each and lasts for 10 years. However, 2 years later when we did our second Amazon cruise, it was not required. :roll:

I don't rely totally on advice from our TA or cruise lines but make an appt. with the practice nurse at our GP's surgery. We give her a list of where we are going, where we think we might need jabs or Malaria tablets and she advises us what is required.
Quite often it's optional rather than essential but I guess that is up to each of us to make decisions based on our age and health.

Shirley, as your topic was posted twice (it happens sometimes), I've deleted one of them for you. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Holiday injections

Postby octocruiser » 23 May 2014 16:39

Usualy we have been advised in our cruise details whether jabs my be needed, but t is u to the individual to check whether their jabs are up to date or need boosting. We are lucky in that our practice does still keep our records and will advise on what is needed where, and whether our own are up to date. Some are given free and some are charged for.
If malaria meds are required they will advise which is the most suitable for the area you will be in and you get a private (paid for ) prescription to take away and choose where to get it dispensed. It is worth shopping around for these as not only are there very wide differences in the cost of the various types, there are also wide variations in what different suppliers charge for them.

Some local practices no longer do this and patients have to go to a travel clinic, sometimes at some distance away, and usually more expensive to use.

I don't think I could face the hassle of preparing for a worldie now :o :o

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Holiday injections

Postby CGBOWLER » 23 May 2014 16:46

We have only needed jabs once, in 2009 for the Caribbean.
We saw our practice nurse for advice and there was no charge.
I can't remember now what the jabs were for but we have a booklet, safe somewhere :oops: , in which they were recorded.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 23 May 2014 21:43

Apart from Yellow Fever which is a legal requirement for entry to some countries after being to others - the rest are a complete waste of time and are just a raquet for the medics and the drug companies. The chances of you picking up anything that you are vaccinated against are slim problem is the things that are most likely make you sick, there are no vaccines available.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Holiday injections

Postby avidcruiser » 23 May 2014 21:43

Hannah wrote:Not sure if this has been covered yet. We went for our booster jabs last night in readiness for our cruise to Cape Town in October. Both had booster for Hep A, typhoid and tetanus under NHS, plus paid £23 each for Hep B, first of three injections. Do you research for immunisation before you go away? I wonder how many you would need for a worldie?

Prior to our wordlie we visited our GP with a list of places we would visit. Most jabs were optional and only if you had travelled from an area previously where say such things as yellow fever was prevalent was immunisation necessary.

The only one that was advised was malaria.

However, as we would only have been out and about in daytime, in a few places, our GP thought that the risk of possible complications, due to taking the anti malaria medication for a few weeks before, during, and for a few weeks after our cruise, was more of a concern than the risk of being bitten on our trips ashore. Long sleeved tops, long trousers, socks, neck scarves, anti mossie treatment, we did at all.

Hence, we made the decision not to take the meds for umpteen weeks, (it would have been for most of our cruise as it was only 80 days and not a true worldie :lol: ),based on his advice.

Everyone needs to make an informed decision, as we did, based on advice from a medical practitioner. I am not providing advice as to what to do, just relating what we chose to do.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Holiday injections

Postby Skier Pete » 23 May 2014 23:19

THis is A good site for information about vaccine requirements and travel related medical advice

LINK ......................................THE TRAVEL DOCTOR

List of Vaccines required (by country)

LINK..................................VACCINE REQUIREMENTS
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Skier Pete » 23 May 2014 23:29

tomvet wrote:Apart from Yellow Fever which is a legal requirement for entry to some countries after being to others - the rest are a complete waste of time and are just a raquet for the medics and the drug companies. The chances of you picking up anything that you are vaccinated against are slim problem is the things that are most likely make you sick, there are no vaccines available.

My BIL managed to get Dengue Fever on a visit to Bali, so there are risks with insect bourne diseases such as Dengue (No vaccine or preventative medication) and Malaria.(No vacccine but there are four classes of preventative medication)

When we questioned our GP about the side effects of the anti malarial "LARIAM" (which was recommended for our 18 day trip around China) as it had a bad press for its psychcological side-effects; his simple answer was
"Malaria has a side effect:-- DEATH". We took the Lariam as presribed.
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 24 May 2014 00:19

Skier Pete wrote:
tomvet wrote:Apart from Yellow Fever which is a legal requirement for entry to some countries after being to others - the rest are a complete waste of time and are just a raquet for the medics and the drug companies. The chances of you picking up anything that you are vaccinated against are slim problem is the things that are most likely make you sick, there are no vaccines available.

My BIL managed to get Dengue Fever on a visit to Bali, so there are risks with insect bourne diseases such as Dengue (No vaccine or preventative medication) and Malaria.(No vacccine but there are four classes of preventative medication)

When we questioned our GP about the side effects of the anti malarial "LARIAM" (which was recommended for our 18 day trip around China) as it had a bad press for its psychcological side-effects; his simple answer was
"Malaria has a side effect:-- DEATH". We took the Lariam as presribed.

........................... as I said the things most likely to get you are those diseases that no vaccine exists .....

As regards your GP - sounds very much like he is very much risk averse - there are other ways to prevent contracting malaria as mentioned by Avid - point is he mentioned the worst and least likely outcome of the condition without any mention of the liklihood of contracting it in the first place to help you formulate your decision. I use the word help with a little caution as to me his advice was at best unhelpful and off handish.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Next