Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Acrophobia

Acrophobia

Re: Acrophobia

Postby Wansbrough » 29 Sep 2014 20:04

grannyM wrote:
keith6400 wrote:Marie,
You say you do not suffer from this distressing phobia and looking over the side of a balcony is never a problem. What is your take on walking along the glass floored "Seawalk" on Royal Princess or Regal Princess. This has got to be a major problem for many cruisers I should have thought!

Regards Keith

Keith, I did recognise most of what other said but it is not myself who has the problem, it is my OH. Now I just hope he doesn't find out I have told you all. ;)

When we visited the New Acropolis Museum in Athens he would not walk on the glass floor above the excavations but had no problem in Norway looking over the viewing area above the fjord. It is really a puzzle at times. :?

:o :o :o It would seem we have something in common, your last comments sound exactly like someone I know. ;)
Seeing some of the latest posts have reminded me of another recent incident where N had to walk along Clevedon Pier which has slatted boards and because she could see below it spooked her completely. She did it but wasn't comfortable about it.
There is no way she would ever walk on one of those glass bottomed platforms.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby dst87 » 29 Sep 2014 21:23

I definitely have some issues with height, but I've yet to understand the specifics of it; it currently seems arbitrary.

I don't like exposed lifts, nor tight staircases in old buildings (especially with exposed window slits).

I had serious problems climbing Notre Dame in Paris. I got to the middle level that runs across the front, and despite the chicken wire fully surrounding me I was pinned to the back of the wall. I couldn't even bring myself to LOOK at the wooden platforms to see the bells! I had a similar problem climbing the bell tower in Bruges.

Yet: Rollercoasters and flying I have no problem with. I'd LOVE to try Skydiving, but the thought of bungee jumping gives me sweaty palms.

Speaking of sweaty palms... check these videos out!

Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby keith6400 » 29 Sep 2014 21:29

Slatted boards with a gap beneath were a big problem with a dog I had. The local council had put "board walks" similar slatted design to aforementioned pier. These were across a low lying area near the river which got very wet and boggy for long periods of wintertime. The height difference was about a foot to a foot and a half, not a big drop. We used this walk for many weeks then suddenly dog looked through and saw the drop. Thereafter he crawled like a marine commando very slowly. Had to find a new route.

Regards Keith
keith6400
Commander
Commander

Postby jocap » 01 Oct 2014 19:15

It happens rarely with me, but I do know it's a safety issue with me. The first time I had an absolute panic was when I climbed up a lighthouse on a pier at Whitby, and my confused mind, when I emerged into the light, was that the railing wasn't high enough to stop someone swaying over (it was, of course). Over the years I've moved from the panic to working out how safe things are, and I think roller coasters and fairground rides have helped.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Acrophobia

Postby Wansbrough » 05 Oct 2014 17:17

Wansbrough wrote: I am hoping to get her to walk over the Clifton suspension bridge in the next year or so and if it comes off that will be a huge achievement.
We are in Funchal in few months time and I see that there are some spectacular views to be seem there and I am hoping her recent determination continues.... :-D

Well as part of the Funchal training we set off for the Clifton Suspension bridge yesterday...... :shock:
After about 20 minutes of psyching her self up we set off with me in front and N grasping on to my arm while trying to cut off all the blood supply to it.
She did it! I am so proud as I know how much it took to do it. She was a very determined lady yesterday and it was a major achievement. It took a good 30 minutes for her to get over the trauma and the return journey was less of a challenge but it still required a huge effort.

Photos >>>HERE<<<
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby keith6400 » 05 Oct 2014 17:36

Good progress on this issue. I saw a ridiculous Tourist Excursion you could do on YouTube it is called Hua Shun Cliffside Plank Walk by Go Pro and as implied by the name you walk along on planks which overhang the side of the cliff. Sensibly the operators give you a mountaineering harness and two caribiners to tie yourself to the anchor points and being two, one is always fixed in case you slip when moving it to the next anchor point. Halfway along a guy is in a cranny making cups of tea on a primus stove. This is a serious attraction and not a spoof like the Kiosk auf dem Matterhorn on you tube which is a german Jeremy Beadle type production. As one german said "The Matterhorn is Finished!"
keith6400
Commander
Commander

Acrophobia

Postby grannyM » 05 Oct 2014 17:54

Well done to N, so pleased for her. That is a massive achievement. :clap: :thumbup:

The weather looked very nice for such an auspicious occasion and your usual 'few' photographs W. ;)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby khkate » 05 Oct 2014 20:33

Well done to N for her achievement - gold star awarded! I don't particularly have a fear of heights but certainly some things like that glass platform in Funchal, I can't do, can't do some caves - can do Wookey Hole caves, but not the ones in Cheddar Gorge. Also can get travelsick on very high mountain passes if I am in a coach - OK on trains and cars. Cable cars are not an issue. We all get affected in different ways and overcoming it takes great courage and support from a partner accompanying one, especially if they can't really under the fear!
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Acrophobia

Postby lovetraveling » 17 Feb 2015 23:17

Fears are so scary even though they are irrational. Our brain will always be a mystery.
lovetraveling
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Acrophobia

Postby lovetraveling » 17 Feb 2015 23:18

But I do believe that we can fight our fears...
lovetraveling
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Health & Beauty