Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Flu jab side effects

Flu jab side effects

Flu jab side effects

Postby khkate » 25 Oct 2014 11:36

I have the flu jab done every year and it does save the full-blown flu. Used to get it free through work, now get it free due to asthma. However, last year after I got it, I got a lot of pain in my arm - not as a lump but sort of shooting-type pains and made it painful if I used the arm. That wore off eventually but this year I have got it again. It has taken about a week after the jab to surface, but it is excruciatingly painful. However, I can't find it as being recognised as a side effect of the jab - has anybody else experienced this?
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Flu jab side effects

Postby MaggieM » 25 Oct 2014 12:58

No I never have any problems and I have a jab every year. I had mine about three weeks ago and no side effects. Hope you feel Ok again soon.
MaggieM

Postby sevenseascoaster » 25 Oct 2014 13:31

Because of a lung condition have had the jab for years and no problems .This year the jab three weeks ago, just a little swelling but nothing else painless.

Last year huge swelling and stiffness and painful, which travelled down my arm making it hard to move. but all back to normal within a week. Other half no problems at all and it was administered by the same person. same batch number of etc So why the differences?

Just think its the luck of the draw of how your body reacts, hope it calms down soon for you.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Flu jab side effects

Postby grannyM » 25 Oct 2014 18:09

khkate wrote:I have the flu jab done every year and it does save the full-blown flu. Used to get it free through work, now get it free due to asthma. However, last year after I got it, I got a lot of pain in my arm - not as a lump but sort of shooting-type pains and made it painful if I used the arm. That wore off eventually but this year I have got it again. It has taken about a week after the jab to surface, but it is excruciatingly painful. However, I can't find it as being recognised as a side effect of the jab - has anybody else experienced this?

We have never had it Lesley but probably will do this year once T has the 'all clear' from the hospital this week. What I did notice when we got the letter from the surgery a couple of weeks ago that there was a list of the different vaccines that is in the jab. I can't find the letter so don't know them all but I did notice it now includes Swine flu vaccine. So, you never know perhaps the formula has changed these past two years and that's why you've never had any side effects before now. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Flu jab side effects

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Oct 2014 19:11

I have had the 'flu jab annually for several years without any side effects at all. However, as I understand it, the protection offered varies from year to year, depending on how closely related the virus is to the virus used to create the anti 'flu jab vaccination. In a year when the strains are the same or very similar, then the protection can be very good. In a year when the strains are not a good match, then the protection can be minimal. Unfortunately the vaccination is always playing 'catch up', so protection should never be assumed.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 25 Oct 2014 20:36

I think you are right GrannyM about the swine flu vaccine being incorporated (probably the bird flue one too). I know the first year after swine flu, there was a separate jab as I had to have that - still working then and was classed as being an "essential member of staff", just for a change. Next year, they will probably even have to include an Ebola vaccine in with it all.

Despite the discomfort I am/have experienced, I will always have the vaccine anyway, rather than having the flu. Before I was getting the free jabs, I was having to pay and missed it one year (think due to being on holiday) and as a result, I went down with a very nasty bout of flu that ended up with chest infections, courses of steroids, etc.

I shall have to speak to doc's practice about the arm/shoulder pain though, just to get it checked as to whether it is a side effect - on NHS Choices website, they do say there can be muscle aches and that it can exacerbate normal aches and pains. I have already been told in the past that after side effects, it is nor recommended that I have either yellow Fever jab or rabies vaccine, after having severe reactions to those. Fortunately, my yellow fever jab is still valid for another year.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Flu jab side effects

Postby avidcruiser » 25 Oct 2014 21:08

I have been eligible, as carer, for the flu jab for some years but this year I did experience the most dreadful pain and swelling at the site of the vaccination but OH did not suffer at all!!!

A few years back it was also incorporated with the pneumonia vaccination.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Flu jab side effects

Postby Trace » 25 Oct 2014 21:40

I had mine on Wednesday, I have had had to cancel it twice as have had awful cold and a lingering bad cough. I have had a very tender upper arm since I had it. I seem to think I always have this, so maybe its normal? :?
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 25 Oct 2014 22:22

Mr P had his jab on Wednesday and experienced the same as khk for 2 days. It's ok now but he didn't experience it last year when he had it done for the first time.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby scilly-jax » 25 Oct 2014 22:43

Try to make sure that you uncover your upper arm from the shoulder down, rather than push your sleeve up, as the angle of the injection can affect the localised reaction. If the solution ends up just below the skin, ( subcutaneous) instead of deeper in the muscle this can cause a more painful reaction! Or so I am told.
scilly-jax
Midshipman
Midshipman

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Health & Beauty