Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Slimming...the Missing Motivation.

Slimming...the Missing Motivation.

Postby Stan Deasy » 31 Oct 2014 17:17

There seem to be so many different ways to slim these days, each one better or easier than the last. It can be somewhat confusing however,every individual has their own reason to want to slim a little. It may be in anticipation of one of the delights of a cruise ie. the eating opportunities that we find on board. It may be on a return from a cruise to undo the weight gain you have aquired whilst away. It is increasingly the fact that health is your main reason to "lose a little".
Some folks find it easier than others,and motivation comes in different forms,including the above. However, one great motivator which is missing from the mix for the "mature slimmer" is usually VANITY. Young single people have the added incentive of trying to look as attractive as possible when they are trying to attract a mate, whereas those of us in a settled , secure relationship are not(usually) looking for love.
Have you tried a slimming programme ? Are you a serial slimmer ? Do you feel fitter as a result of losing a few pounds ? Svelte Stan. ;) :lol:
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby grannyM » 31 Oct 2014 17:42

Interestly enough Stan I've just been reading about the 'Grapefruit diet' which was very fashionable a few decades ago. It was always looked on as a bit of a myth or fad but a controlled research study (US of course) apparently showed that it did have some effect. Typically it looks like you either have to eat nothing else except grapefruit or have huge quantities of grapefruit juice before every calorie controlled meal. :?

However, to answer your question, yes I am vain enough to want to look better by losing some weight. Obviously I am 'settled' and so it's not to attract 'a mate' but just so that my clothes that are a wee bit tight ( ;)) look better on me and also in the hope those that no longer fit me, that are gathering dust and going out of fashion hanging in the wardrobe, will one day see the light of day again. :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Slimming...the Missing Motivation.

Postby JollyJill » 31 Oct 2014 17:51

Now this thread I can relate to.

Not being a very sporty person (although I'm a great spectator), I can put on weight easily.

My first serious diet was after giving birth to my son back in the 70s. I had ballooned by a couple of stone and so took myself off the Weight Watchers. I got down to my goal weight and then promptly became pregnant with my second child- however, I kept the excess weight off.

Since then I have been to Slimming World which was also successful. These days however, I know what I have to do get rid of the flab and no longer need to pay someone to tell me what to eat or to be weighed by them on a weekly basis.

I embarked on a diet on 1st April this year and have lost 22 lbs. Admittedly I fluctuate by a couple of pounds now and then but on the whole, I have kept the weight off.

Why did I start the latest diet? I was noticing that I was slowing down through lack of energy, which I put down to being too heavy.

I feel so much better now though and can walk for miles without getting tired. :)

No doubt when I return from our forthcoming cruise, I will have to rein in again but hey, life can't always be abstemious can it? ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 31 Oct 2014 18:07

JollyJill wrote:Now this thread I can relate to.

Not being a very sporty person (although I'm a great spectator), I can put on weight easily.

My first serious diet was after giving birth to my son back in the 70s. I had ballooned by a couple of stone and so took myself off the Weight Watchers. I got down to my goal weight and then promptly became pregnant with my second child- however, I kept the excess weight off.

Since then I have been to Slimming World which was also successful. These days however, I know what I have to do get rid of the flab and no longer need to pay someone to tell me what to eat or to be weighed by them on a weekly basis.

I embarked on a diet on 1st April this year and have lost 22 lbs. Admittedly I fluctuate by a couple of pounds now and then but on the whole, I have kept the weight off.

Why did I start the latest diet? I was noticing that I was slowing down through lack of energy, which I put down to being too heavy.

I feel so much better now though and can walk for miles without getting tired. :)

No doubt when I return from our forthcoming cruise, I will have to rein in again but hey, life can't always be abstemious can it? ;)

No Jill it can't and neither should it. :)

Congratulations on losing 22lbs. That is a great achievement in 7 months with a few cruises in between too. :clap: :clap:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 31 Oct 2014 18:18

Congratulations on losing 22lbs. That is a great achievement in 7 months with a few cruises in between too. :clap: :clap:

Thanks Marie. I have been on so many diets over the years that I know the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to lose it gradually. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 31 Oct 2014 18:49

Well done Jill. That is excellent.
I have tried many times to loose weight and tend to look for a quick method. I have had great success with Atkins, Scarsdale etc but in no time at all the pounds return. There is no doubt steady and slowly is best.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby CGBOWLER » 31 Oct 2014 19:15

Very well done Jill.
I have been on one diet or another for 50 years and I wish I had never started.
Sure, I have lost pounds and indeed stones but every time it has all gone back plus an extra half stone.
It's very difficult now because arthritis and back ache restrict exercising. :(
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby jocap » 31 Oct 2014 21:06

I began losing weight when G was diagnosed with diabetes 2, so we went onto a good diet for that. By simply removing all refined sugar, be it in biscuits, puds or sauces, I lost one or two pounds a month over four years.
The big shock came when I started to pile weight back on, for no reason....and that's when a thyroid problem was diagnosed. I've just had the meds upped again and expected some weight loss, but alas, there's no difference. This is with no snacks, sweets, puds....I had a chocolate orange last Christmas that lasted the pair of us till Easter, and don't think I've touched chocolate since.
The last thing to go will have to be my glass of red wine... :(
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 31 Oct 2014 21:16

The last thing to go will have to be my glass of red wine... :(

Oh no Jo! I would hate to forgo the odd glass of red wine when either out to dinner or on a cruise. :(

I was interested to see an article on the new today about putting more information about calories on drink as well as food.
I was really surprised when 4 glasses of alcoholic beverages were lined up and people were asked to place them in order of calorie content. I exected the glass of Stout to contain the most but it was the red wine. :shock:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby jocap » 31 Oct 2014 21:32

Yes, Jill, the red wine one shook me a little....but I'm hanging on in there....
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Health & Beauty