Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Something else to worry about?

Something else to worry about?

Postby JollyJill » 15 Nov 2014 12:56

Reading the paper this morning, I came across an article about a virus that is causing concern in the Caribbean.

It is called Chikungunya and is carried by mosquitoes. The article says that the current outbreak, is being played down by tour operators for obvious reasons.
If all this is news to you and you are travelling to the Caribbean soon, it might be advisable to read the article. Forearmed is forewarned as the saying goes.

Chikungunya outbreak in the Caribbean.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jimmy the One » 15 Nov 2014 13:05

JollyJill wrote:Reading the paper this morning, I came across an article about a virus that is causing concern in the Caribbean.

It is called Chikungunya and is carried by mosquitoes. The article says that the current outbreak, is being played down by tour operators for obvious reasons.
If all this is news to you and you are travelling to the Caribbean soon, it might be advisable to read the article. Forearmed is forewarned as the saying goes.

Chikungunya outbreak in the Caribbean.

Thanks for that Jill I've never heard of this disease need to keep a close eye although we are not going till next year maybe need to talk to my GP as I have a few medical issues :(
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Something else to worry about?

Postby adogap » 15 Nov 2014 13:53

Thanks Jill. Notable that it has been around since 1952 and originated in East Africa (where I am from) but this is the first I have heard of it. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 15 Nov 2014 18:37

I wouldn't get over alarmed by it- if it not virus A in Zone B, it will be disease X in region Y, for example:
SARS - SE Asia
Dengue Fever - Thailand
Swine Flu - Mexico
Bird Flu - Far East
MERS - CoV - Middle East
Ebola - West Africa

Normal precautions and vigilance should keep one protected.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 15 Nov 2014 18:40

tomvet wrote:I wouldn't get over alarmed by it- if it not virus A in Zone B, it will be disease X in region Y, for example:
SARS - SE Asia
Dengue Fever - Thailand
Swine Flu - Mexico
Bird Flu - Far East
MERS - CoV - Middle East
Ebola - West Africa

Normal precautions and vigilance should keep one protected.

Agreed Tom but I had not heard of this particular virus before so posted the article on a FYI basis really. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 15 Nov 2014 18:49

Thing is these exotic viral disease emerge and re-emerge all the time! I don't think it is possible to keep up! As better detection and reporting takes place, we may get the illusion of increasing incidence which may not be entirely true.

I was at a training day last month where they constantly, referred to climate change and the emergence of Crimean Congo Haemorrhagic Fever Virus. I had no idea what they were talking about, though understood the principles. The comforting thing was that when we went to lunch, no body else had heard of it either.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Jimmy the One » 13 Jan 2015 19:08

Speaking to a Swedish friend in Curacao today they have been there for four weeks both he and his wife came down with this were pretty ill for three days.They were plagued with mosquitoes
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby lovetraveling » 18 Mar 2015 00:25

I've never heard of this disease...
lovetraveling
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Return to Health & Beauty