Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Are We Getting Soft?

Are We Getting Soft?

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby jocap » 17 Dec 2014 21:03

Now that many childhood diseases have been conquered, I've noticed a lot more fuss from younger people, about the common cold! In fact, I know of one self-employed man who goes home to his mother when he has a cold, to be coddled for a few days- even breakfast in bed.... :? And then he comes and tells us about every symptom...
Last weekend another young person said she might not make an engagement next week, because of a cold....a sore throat, aching head, runny nose (yawn)...Poor soul.... :shock:
Now, we were daft enough to go into work with a streaming cold, and thus everyone else probably shared it, but....a cold was a cold, and you battled on regardless. Yes, have a day in bed for a stinker, but all this moaning about something we've all gone through, again and again...although I've probably gone through all 50+ viruses by now. ;)
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby Stan Deasy » 17 Dec 2014 21:12

Hi Jo...apparently after the age of 30,the incidence of catching a cold diminishes due to the build up of your resistance....in turn a result of numerous past colds endured. I don't know if we are getting soft,as there have always been "maungy" people about. I think that people may not enjoy the 30+ bonus of less frequent colds if we all become isolated,and don't "share" our germs. Sneezing Stan. :lol:
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Re: Are We Getting Soft?

Postby jocap » 17 Dec 2014 21:22

I've just listened to the maungiest, Stan!
When I read about the amount of disinfectants used by some people who are petrified of germs, I wonder whether folk will just die out due to lack of resistance, and overuse of antibiotics!
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby judgegeoff » 17 Dec 2014 21:34

One thing I noticed on our recent cruises was that very few people these days use a handkerchief, most people just coughed or sneezed into their hands - the same hands they then use on the ship's rails and staircase rails. It was no wonder that many people on the ships ended up being ill.

Perhaps it ought to be compulsory to show our handkerchiefs at the muster drill!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 17 Dec 2014 23:56

jocap wrote:I've just listened to the maungiest, Stan!
When I read about the amount of disinfectants used by some people who are petrified of germs, I wonder whether folk will just die out due to lack of resistance, and overuse of antibiotics!

So true Jo. So many people seem to think that antibiotics should be prescribed for just about anything, which is why they are less effective these days.

I won't even have the flu jab. I am lucky that I rarely get coughs and colds and have never had Flu so I will take my chances.
There are certain drugs that many of us have to take as we get older so I resist taking anything else unless I have to.

When I was working, I used get annoyed when children who had a day or two off school, came back to tell us that they had the Flu. :roll:
Obviously, they got that idea from their parents. I would always correct them by telling them that they jusy had a cold.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 18 Dec 2014 10:50

my OH announced he had pneumonia a couple of years ago, then trotted downstairs to make a cuppa!!!!!!!!!

Man-monia is a notifiable disease in our house now!

Seriously though, I have a raging sore throat at the moment, and cancelled yesterday evening's outing so as not to spread it. I am meant to be singing at a do this evening - it's looking likely that I won't get there either.
It's OH office Christmas lunch tomoro - hope I can swallow by then!

OH had a cold over the weekend ( that's where mine's come from I suspect).
He was due to give his 100th donation to the vampires on Monday - they were happy to accept it cos once the cold's come out it's safe
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 18 Dec 2014 10:51

JollyJill wrote:
When I was working, I used get annoyed when children who had a day or two off school, came back to tell us that they had the Flu. :roll:
Obviously, they got that idea from their parents. I would always correct them by telling them that they jusy had a cold.

I used to tell my children that if they felt well enough to walk down the garden to pick up a Mars bar ( or a fiver or whatever) they defo didn't have flu
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby Borneo » 18 Dec 2014 11:57

I do have the flu jab now . I've had common colds but about 4 years ago I had flu . Didn't tell anyone how I felt because I was so ill I didn't remember it . With true flu you DONT have a runny nose and sneezing . :cry:
Julia
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby grannyM » 18 Dec 2014 12:25

Both T and I have had the flu jab for the first time this year. We normally wouldn't have it but he was advised to have it after his operation because he now has 'underlying health issues'. I just had it because I thought he probably wouldn't if I didn't. :roll:

Along with those who are 70, 78 or 79 T has been offered the Shingles vaccination. Since he has never had chickenpox or a cold sore, which is usually the precursor of Shingles, he doesn't know whether or not to have it. :?

Shingles Vaccination
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby JollyJill » 18 Dec 2014 12:37

grannyM wrote:Both T and I have had the flu jab for the first time this year. We normally wouldn't have it but he was advised to have it after his operation because he now has 'underlying health issues'. I just had it because I thought he probably wouldn't if I didn't. :roll:

Along with those who are 70, 78 or 79 T has been offered the Shingles vaccination. Since he has never had chickenpox or a cold sore, which is usually the precursor of Shingles, he doesn't know whether or not to have it. :?

Shingles Vaccination

Having recently had Shingles Marie, I was advised by my GP to stay away from anyone I knew that hadn't had chickenpox because I could pass it on.
Apparently, if you have shingles, you can't pass it on as shingles but you can give someone Chickenpox- if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I am too young to qualify for the Shingles vaccination but knowing what I know now, I would have had the jab had I been eligible.

Shingles is most unpleasant and getting Chickenpox when an adult is equally nasty.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Health & Beauty