Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Are We Getting Soft?

Are We Getting Soft?

Re: Are We Getting Soft?

Postby andynew » 18 Dec 2014 13:19

Do they still have chicken pox parties?
andynew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 14 Jun 2013 19:04

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby grannyM » 18 Dec 2014 15:04

JollyJill wrote:
grannyM wrote:Both T and I have had the flu jab for the first time this year. We normally wouldn't have it but he was advised to have it after his operation because he now has 'underlying health issues'. I just had it because I thought he probably wouldn't if I didn't. :roll:

Along with those who are 70, 78 or 79 T has been offered the Shingles vaccination. Since he has never had chickenpox or a cold sore, which is usually the precursor of Shingles, he doesn't know whether or not to have it. :?

Shingles Vaccination


Having recently had Shingles Marie, I was advised by my GP to stay away from anyone I knew that hadn't had chickenpox because I could pass it on.
Apparently, if you have shingles, you can't pass it on as shingles but you can give someone Chickenpox- if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I am too young to qualify for the Shingles vaccination but knowing what I know now, I would have had the jab had I been eligible.

Shingles is most unpleasant and getting Chickenpox when an adult is equally nasty.


It certainly is Jill. When my 4 kids all had it simultaneously the one who was worse was the 17 year old. At one point I had to get the doctor out because she could not swallow as she had spots in her mouth and throat. I don't think there was one area of her head and body that was not covered in them. Our GP said it was one of the worst cases she had ever seen. :(

It's interesting what you say about shingles passing on chickenpox. I was quite surprised when I found that out a few years ago because when we were kids it was generally thought to be the other way about. I well remember folk saying you had to stay away from older vulnerable people (presumably the age I am now ;) } in case you gave them shingles. :?
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17714
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby octocruiser » 18 Dec 2014 15:12

JollyJill wrote:
grannyM wrote:Both T and I have had the flu jab for the first time this year. We normally wouldn't have it but he was advised to have it after his operation because he now has 'underlying health issues'. I just had it because I thought he probably wouldn't if I didn't. :roll:

Along with those who are 70, 78 or 79 T has been offered the Shingles vaccination. Since he has never had chickenpox or a cold sore, which is usually the precursor of Shingles, he doesn't know whether or not to have it. :?

Shingles Vaccination


Having recently had Shingles Marie, I was advised by my GP to stay away from anyone I knew that hadn't had chickenpox because I could pass it on.
Apparently, if you have shingles, you can't pass it on as shingles but you can give someone Chickenpox- if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I am too young to qualify for the Shingles vaccination but knowing what I know now, I would have had the jab had I been eligible.

Shingles is most unpleasant and getting Chickenpox when an adult is equally nasty.


Sounds like an odd categorization for eligibilty.

Anybody any idea why these three specific years ? What about those aged between 71 and 77 ? Or indeed those over 80. Are they not equally vulnerable? My sister in her 80 's had shingles last year and also was in great discomfort . I'm sure had she been offered the vaccine before that she would have been happy to have it .

Cheers Kath
User avatar
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: 05 May 2013 11:56
Location: Gloucestershire
National Flag:
England

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby CGBOWLER » 18 Dec 2014 15:23

I am paranoid about being close to anyone who appears to have a cold and I will move away from them if possible.
If I catch a cold I invariably pass it on to Brian.
If he catches a cold it goes straight to his chest and turns to bronchitis.
Last week our doctor told him that if he gets pneumonia chances are his heart would not be able to cope.
Then he said we should go somewhere warm for a holiday. :roll: Presumably that would be in the confined space of a plane where by Sod's Law the person put next to me would be coughing, sneezing and blowing its nose. :shock:
Irene
User avatar
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: 01 Mar 2011 00:08
Location: CLECKHEATON, WEST YORKSHIRE
National Flag:
England

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby JollyJill » 18 Dec 2014 17:21

Anybody any idea why these three specific years ? What about those aged between 71 and 77 ? Or indeed those over 80. Are they not equally vulnerable? My sister in her 80 's had shingles last year and also was in great discomfort . I'm sure had she been offered the vaccine before that she would have been happy to have it .


I asked that question of my GP and was told that as it is a fairly new initiative, they couldn't offer it to all 'senior citizens' but that it would be a rolling programme where we would all be offered the vaccine............. eventually.
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 14:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby grannyM » 18 Dec 2014 18:29

CGBOWLER wrote:I am paranoid about being close to anyone who appears to have a cold and I will move away from them if possible.
If I catch a cold I invariably pass it on to Brian.

If he catches a cold it goes straight to his chest and turns to bronchitis.
Last week our doctor told him that if he gets pneumonia chances are his heart would not be able to cope.
Then he said we should go somewhere warm for a holiday. :roll: Presumably that would be in the confined space of a plane where by Sod's Law the person put next to me would be coughing, sneezing and blowing its nose. :shock:


I can completely understand that Irene and I think you are quite right to be paranoid about these things.

Having had a persistent sinus infection and a cough that lasted for months at the beginning of the year. It developed to a lung infection which needed antibiotics so I too admit to being paranoid about coughs and sneezes and tummy bugs.

When T came out of the hospital after his operation in September we did not see 2 of our grandchildren for 2 weeks because my daughter was paranoid about her dad catching the dreadful cough they all had. Then one of children had a sickness virus that was going around the school so they all stayed away in case they were carrying it . It did seem OTT but at that point it was very painful for T to cough or sneeze so we thought it best to err on the side of caution.
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17714
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby grannyM » 18 Dec 2014 18:39

JollyJill wrote:
Anybody any idea why these three specific years ? What about those aged between 71 and 77 ? Or indeed those over 80. Are they not equally vulnerable? My sister in her 80 's had shingles last year and also was in great discomfort . I'm sure had she been offered the vaccine before that she would have been happy to have it .


I asked that question of my GP and was told that as it is a fairly new initiative, they couldn't offer it to all 'senior citizens' but that it would be a rolling programme where we would all be offered the vaccine............. eventually.


When we asked the nurse about this she told us that apparently they do not have enough virus yet to do everyone over 70. It is being produced and they are, as Jill said, working towards everyone being offered it in the future. She didn't actually know why the 3 ages of 70, 78 and 79 were chosen to start with but she did tell T that if he didn't have this year before he was 71 he wouldn't be offered it again until he was in the next age bracket. Obviously I don't know if this is true or not. :?
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17714
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Are We Getting Soft?

Postby grannyM » 18 Dec 2014 18:40

JollyJill wrote:
Anybody any idea why these three specific years ? What about those aged between 71 and 77 ? Or indeed those over 80. Are they not equally vulnerable? My sister in her 80 's had shingles last year and also was in great discomfort . I'm sure had she been offered the vaccine before that she would have been happy to have it .


I asked that question of my GP and was told that as it is a fairly new initiative, they couldn't offer it to all 'senior citizens' but that it would be a rolling programme where we would all be offered the vaccine............. eventually.


When we asked the nurse about this she told us that apparently they do not have enough vaccine yet to do everyone over 70. It is being produced and they are, as Jill said, working towards everyone being offered it in the future. She didn't actually know why the 3 ages of 70, 78 and 79 were chosen to start with but she did tell T that if he didn't have this year before he was 71 he wouldn't be offered it again until he was in the next age bracket. Obviously I don't know if this is true or not. :?
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17714
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Are We Getting Soft?

Postby jocap » 19 Dec 2014 14:33

We were in the first batch for the shingles jab....they'd managed to produce enough for 2 age groups, so went for either end of the 70s, the most vulnerable years. There was enough also for anyone at risk, and doctors could manage to cover a few of these people.
This year it's again 70 and 79, 78, and vulnerable. Those of us in the first group are now 71 and early 80s. I think that they had to draw this line, the first year, in the hope that enough could be made in future years, rather than just wait for enough to cover everyone.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
User avatar
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 6880
Joined: 08 Mar 2011 23:11
Location: Seascale, Cumbria
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Are We Getting Soft?

Postby keith6400 » 19 Dec 2014 15:45

I was in my local pharmacy the other day and happened to notice an excellent sounding "over the counter" remedy aimed at a specific niche market. The product was called MANFLU LOZZERS and sounded exactly what might be needed.


Regards Keith
keith6400
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 14 Jul 2014 09:44

PreviousNext

Return to Health & Beauty



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests