Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - What if your children are aged between 12 and 17 years old?

What if your children are aged between 12 and 17 years old?

Postby tomvet » 19 Sep 2015 12:35

A friend of mine has 5 kids and is interested in taking a cruise (a budget one I may add! :roll: ) and we discussed that we and his family would go together and the 12 of us could squeeze into 3, 4 berth cabins - (Hostelling at sea! :roll: ). So doing a little research this morning I was looking at some options - problem, his kids are aged, 14, 12, 11, 9 and 7! Tried to make a dummy booking on vivavoyage!

Children are 2 to 11. Adults are 18+ and infants are under 2!

So what about kids 12 to 17? :? :? :?

Viva.jpg

Looks like I should book elsewhere!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 19 Sep 2015 13:00

Someone didn't proofread that very well. :roll:

Another thing I noticed... To book more than one cabin, you need to book one before you can book another. But suppose the first cabin you booked was the last available cabin? (And not necessarily the last on the ship, but perhaps the last in the required grade.)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 19 Sep 2015 13:09

Dave wrote:Someone didn't proofread that very well. :roll:

Another thing I noticed... To book more than one cabin, you need to book one before you can book another. But suppose the first cabin you booked was the last available cabin? (And not necessarily the last on the ship, but perhaps the last in the required grade.)

Indeed that is correct Dave. So you have to go in and see how many you are offered in the grade - if more than what you need then you can take a chance and be quick to grab them and hope that there is no one any where else having the same idea at the same time for the same cruise and for the same cabins.

Doesn't work if you are offered a GTY as that may be the last cabin on the ship! :shock: :shock:

Another thing I noticed with Costa and AIDA which allow you to book more than one at the time. Suppose you wish for 3 cabins and not worried about the location and there are only two IA cabins available at £500 pp and plenty IB cabins are available at £600 pp. The system will try and sell you three IB cabins and not the last two remaining IA cabins plus one IB.

This is also the case with airlines. If Ryanair has three seats left at the £29.99 price, and you want 5, they will then sell all the seats to you at the next fare up of £39.99 rather than 3 at £29.99 and two at £39.99. So you can make a saving by putting 3 seats on one booking and 2 on another. Just be careful though if you have infants as each must be with an adult.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 19 Sep 2015 13:45

I wish that children aged 12 to 17 had been banned from our "Adventure of the Seas" San Juan - Caribbean - San Juan cruise over U.S. Thanksgiving in November 2011. :lol:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 19 Sep 2015 14:23

judgegeoff wrote:I wish that children aged 12 to 17 had been banned from our "Adventure of the Seas" San Juan - Caribbean - San Juan cruise over U.S. Thanksgiving in November 2011. :lol:

Now! Now! Geoff, they have every right to be there as anyone else - now if they were misbehaving and being a nuisance - that is another story.

If an 18 year old say that all 60+ should be banned from a sailing - it would be a public outrage against such ageist comments.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 19 Sep 2015 14:43

tomvet wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:I wish that children aged 12 to 17 had been banned from our "Adventure of the Seas" San Juan - Caribbean - San Juan cruise over U.S. Thanksgiving in November 2011. :lol:

Now! Now! Geoff, they have every right to be there as anyone else - now if they were misbehaving and being a nuisance - that is another story.

If an 18 year old say that all 60+ should be banned from a sailing - it would be a public outrage against such ageist comments.

They were a nuisance! It was 'Quincenera' ('Sweet 16') week and the ship was full of families of young girls who were dressed in huge white fluffy dresses (similar to our debutantes). Trying to get from one area of the ship to another was very difficult - having to keep stopping to wait whilst photographs were taken every few yards. The stairways were blocked, converted into teenage club seating and the lifts were commandeered by the young. The kids were running down the corridors knocking on doors during the late evening. The families of the 'Sweet 16' girls would not procession into the Theatre until after the shows had started and then there was a lot of shouting and even whistling as they identified where their friends were. The artists had to pause their performances until they were all seated. One evening, as the Captain was making his way down the main staircase in the Main Dining Room, he was bustled aside by a 'Quincenera' family who were making their grand entrance.

I am not anti kids - honestly - We have had three of our own - but these kids and their families were out of control.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 19 Sep 2015 14:53

judgegeoff wrote:
tomvet wrote:

They were a nuisance! It was 'Quincenera' ('Sweet 16') week and the ship was full of families of young girls who were dressed in huge white fluffy dresses (similar to our debutantes). Trying to get from one area of the ship to another was very difficult - having to keep stopping to wait whilst photographs were taken every few yards. The stairways were blocked, converted into teenage club seating and the lifts were commandeered by the young. The kids were running down the corridors knocking on doors during the late evening. The families of the 'Sweet 16' girls would not procession into the Theatre until after the shows had started and then there was a lot of shouting and even whistling as they identified where their friends were. The artists had to pause their performances until they were all seated. One evening, as the Captain was making his way down the main staircase in the Main Dining Room, he was bustled aside by a 'Quincenera' family who were making their grand entrance.

I am not anti kids - honestly - We have had three of our own - but these kids and their families were out of control.

oh dear! Sounds like my big fat gypsy something or other celebration!

Bad timing on your part. Did they have to heavily discount the cruise to fill the ship with mere unsuspecting mortals like yourself?
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: What if your children are aged between 12 and 17 years old?

Postby Hannah » 19 Sep 2015 15:18

You would think Tom going back to your original thread that a discount could be made on a large booking. Have you investigated that angle.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 19 Sep 2015 15:37

our first cruise was only done by us cos there was a stonking discount of something like 90% for children sharing an adult's cabin. Our child was 16 and the cabin share adult her sister aged 18
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 19 Sep 2015 16:01

Hannah wrote:You would think Tom going back to your original thread that a discount could be made on a large booking. Have you investigated that angle.

I didn't but thanks for mentioning it!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Return to Cruising with children