Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Gobsmacked!

Gobsmacked!

Gobsmacked!

Postby JollyJill » 03 Nov 2014 16:43

Now I know that we value our NHS in times of a health crisis but something happened today to make me wonder about it's future.

I have an ongoing problem which requires an MRI scan. I was given a follow up appointment some time ago on the proviso that if the scan wasn't done 4 weeks before that date then I was to phone and reschedule it.

Well sure enough, the scan appt. came through on Friday for 2 weeks before the follow up. When I phoned to change the appt. I asked why it should take 4 weeks for my surgeon to receive reults of a scan done in the same hospital. In my naivety, I said that surely with modern technology, it is just a matter of calling my scan results up onto the computer screen.

'Oh no' was the response; the scan has to be read and then typed up and the typing is sent abroad. :shock:

It's quite quick these days said she because it used to take 10 weeks!

So our NHS is sending typing abroad! I truly am gobsmacked. :shock:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Gobsmacked!

Postby dst87 » 03 Nov 2014 17:03

Speaking to my radiographer cousin recently, I understand the not only the typing but also the interpretation of the scan is outsourced In England & Wales. I don't think we have that problem in Scotland... Yet.
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby grannyM » 03 Nov 2014 17:29

dst87 wrote:Speaking to my radiographer cousin recently, I understand the not only the typing but also the interpretation of the scan is outsourced In England & Wales. I don't think we have that problem in Scotland... Yet.

I hope not Duncan but....

Jill, no wonder you were 'gobsmacked'. It was bad enough most of the UK call centres are abroad but this is the most ridiculous thing so far. :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 03 Nov 2014 17:30

dst87 wrote:Speaking to my radiographer cousin recently, I understand the not only the typing but also the interpretation of the scan is outsourced In England & Wales. I don't think we have that problem in Scotland... Yet.

That truly is ridiculous isn't it?

We have a two tier NHS. If your life is at risk then it's great; if not then go private if you are not prepared to wait for weeks or months for treatment. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 03 Nov 2014 17:32

grannyM wrote:

I hope not Duncan but....

Jill, no wonder you were 'gobsmacked'. It was bad enough most of the UK call centres are abroad but this is the most ridiculous thing so far. :roll:

I wonder if the NHS 111 system is also a call centre abroad. Does anyone know?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 03 Nov 2014 18:55

JollyJill wrote:

That truly is ridiculous isn't it?

We have a two tier NHS. If your life is at risk then it's great; if not then go private if you are not prepared to wait for weeks or months for treatment. :(

I was amazed to read about outsourcing of report typing, etc. What a pity I hadn't read your post earlier today. We spent our morning at a meeting to which we had been invited along with other participants to give feed back on a programme we have been involved with over recent months to do with a health issue.

The meeting was hosted by the 'Project Manager' and a Patient Advocate. Both started by saying they were not medical people, purely Admin. I would have been happy to query whether the outsourcing happens here.

It is our experience that your other comment is true. When we were self employed in a hands on business we felt we could not afford NOT to have BUPA. We simply could not afford to have to wait for treatment for relatively minor problems and have to find and fund replacement staff.

Fortunately we never had to claim and on retirement could not afford the massive premiums.

We have had to rely on the NHS in some serious situations since then and have nothing but praise for the treatment that has been available.

There have also been less serious situations where we have had to wait our turn, but overall have been satisfied with the outcome.
One of the important factors here has been our luck in having an excellent GP within a very efficient and progressive practice.
This was again very evident this morning when the experiences of the individuals participating in the meeting were compared. There were substantial differences although every patient was in the same group of medical conditions.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Gobsmacked!

Postby sevenseascoaster » 03 Nov 2014 20:22

JollyJill wrote:Now I know that we value our NHS in times of a health crisis but something happened today to make me wonder about it's future.

I have an ongoing problem which requires an MRI scan. I was given a follow up appointment some time ago on the proviso that if the scan wasn't done 4 weeks before that date then I was to phone and reschedule it.

Well sure enough, the scan appt. came through on Friday for 2 weeks before the follow up. When I phoned to change the appt. I asked why it should take 4 weeks for my surgeon to receive reults of a scan done in the same hospital. In my naivety, I said that surely with modern technology, it is just a matter of calling my scan results up onto the computer screen.

'Oh no' was the response; the scan has to be read and then typed up and the typing is sent abroad. :shock:

It's quite quick these days said she because it used to take 10 weeks!

So our NHS is sending typing abroad! I truly am gobsmacked. :shock:

That is mind blowing Jill, typing abroad whatever next!!!!!!! what is happening to the NHS? I agree in an emergency they are superb, but other areas are now lacking somewhat, and nursing staff over stretched and under such pressure. Perhaps more money put in the right places instead of the billions sent abroad to places that can manage themselves :roll:
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Gobsmacked!

Postby JollyJill » 03 Nov 2014 20:35

That is mind blowing Jill, typing abroad whatever next!!!!!!! what is happening to the NHS? I agree in an emergency they are superb, but other areas are now lacking somewhat, and nursing staff over stretched and under such pressure. Perhaps more money put in the right places instead of the billions sent abroad to places that can manage themselves :roll:

It seems to me Wen that we are being encouraged to go privately in order to free up resources for front line medicine.

The problem for us though is that if we didn't taken up a BUPA policy or similar when we were much younger and less of a health risk, the premiums would beyond affordable now.
Unfortunately, my ex refused to pay into private health care and so did Plunky.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sevenseascoaster » 03 Nov 2014 20:49

Jill both P and I have BUPA cover, but as the excess is astronomical we opt to use the NHS for ordinary things. The cover came from Ps job many years ago and we opted to continue it with the high excess to make it more affordable.

Without the NHS exceptional emergency care P wouldn't be here today. So we have a lot to thank the system for.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Gobsmacked!

Postby CGBOWLER » 04 Nov 2014 01:02

B. had a massive MI towards the end of 1994. The ambulance came within ten minutes. The paramedic was the first one to help save his life.
He arrested just as we reached the doors of casualty. When we met one of the casualty nurses two or three weeks later she told us he had been resuscitated 12 times and they often give up after 6 tries. An Asian doctor was the second person to help save his life.
Fortunately we were in BUPA at the time because we were told there was an eighteen month waiting time for by-pass surgery. The BUPA, cardiac consultant asked B. when his birthday was and when he told him June, he said he would not see it without the operation. He had the by-pass in January 1995.
So, in the first place the NHS saved his life - probably temporarily - then BUPA.
The premium for BUPA was too expensive for us after that. :o
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next

Return to Health & Beauty