Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Apr 2021 11:20

Wonderful photos there, Dave - I enjoyed them all! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 12 Apr 2021 15:23

Thanks Gill. It's always tempting to take loads of photos when the sun's out! 8-)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 25 Apr 2021 17:18

I like to limit my posts to this topic to those that include an area of Kent that I've not walked before.

Today's short walk is pushing things a little, because less than a mile of it was new. But, with times as they are, beggars can't be choosers! ;)

We decided to pay a visit to Go Outdoors in Canterbury to treat ourselves. This was to be only my second time in a shop for well over a year - and my other shop visit was to... Go Outdoors. To make a walk of it, we drove to the delightful little village of Harbledown just outside Canterbury and did a circular walk across country to Go Outdoors and back.

On the way is a footpath that lost its purpose as a useful link between places when the A2 Canterbury dual carriageway bypass cut through it. However, this footpath links up with another footpath that also lost its purpose, but which loops back again, making an unnecessarily long diversion with no other purpose than to allow walkers to enjoy its meander through some wonderful orchards. :)

We parked on a road outside Harbledown (right) and set off up a hill across the first of several orchards:

It wasn't long before we arrived at the previously unwalked path. It was surprisingly clear, which suggests others enjoy an unnecessary diversion...

We went through another orchard, then we crossed a railway line, and then we went through another orchard!

The path through the orchard above led us to a medieval building called Tonford Manor, which is surrounded by orchards. :)

At Tonford Manor, we rejoined our usual route between Harbledown and Canterbury. We followed the Great Stour (river) towards the city and crossed it to get to Riverside Retail Park and Go Outdoors. My wife bought herself a nice Buff buff and I treated myself to a Mountain Equipment super-lightweight base-layer top. :)

We returned to Harbledown by recrossing the Great Stour and Hambrook Marshes, before briefly joining the North Downs Way and doing a short orchard walk back to the car.

Photo taken from the NDW towards Harbledown:

Only a 5 mile walk, but a bit of an adventure all the same!
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Camela » 25 Apr 2021 18:21

2nd visit to a shop, have you just been having home deliveries Dave?
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 25 Apr 2021 18:39

Camela wrote:2nd visit to a shop, have you just been having home deliveries Dave?

Absolutely. Tesco delivers the weekly shopping and Amazon delivers most other things! :D
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 26 Apr 2021 07:34

The orchards bring back some lovely childhood memories, thanks.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 26 Apr 2021 10:48

Lovely photos there, Dave, but - I give in. What is a Buff buff, please? :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 26 Apr 2021 16:01

Gillzajoker wrote:Lovely photos there, Dave, but - I give in. What is a Buff buff, please? :D

Okay then Gill... :)

A buff is another name for a neck tube. Buff, with a capital B, is a company that makes buffs. Buff makes hats and other stuff too, but is famous for making the best buffs (probably). So, quite clearly, a Buff buff is a buff made by Buff. Simple!
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 27 Apr 2021 09:39

I am enlightened! :lol: :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag: